How painful was your knee pain before replacement?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, please share how you controlled your knee pain prior to surgery?  I'm taking Tramadol during the day, sometimes 100 mg and 1000 mg Tylenol.  At bedtime I take 2 Lortab.  Also, use an icepack at night.  Just moving the slitest bit can send a shockwave of pain...so sharp I'm whimpering.  Yep, It's pretty bad.  Cortisone did nothing to alleviate the pain.  Please share your experience.  Thanks!

1 like, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*slightest  (pain meds)
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good Mirning... My knee pain was awful, especially after either Walking, gardening or sitting for too long! I was on anti inflammatory lies, took Panadol Osteo every 4 hrs. It was hell! Now I'm 3 weeks post op and feel so much better already!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susie, I was taken off my anti inflammatory meds because long term it is hard on the kidneys.  I had been on it for about 5 years before I was taken off.  I've been bone on bone for about 10 years and a little over a month ago the pain started and progressively has gotten so bad I am on crutches or I hobble in pain.  The pain is underneath the knee cap in the bend of my knee.  The prain radiates into my out thigh and into my hip.  Also, It throbs below the knee as well.  It is awful.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

*The pain radiates into the outside of my thigh.  Please excuse my typos, I need to "proof" before I hit the reply button.  Ugh.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Pansy.

I worked as a waitress /bartender for the last 8 years both my knees hurt to a certain extent. I also did Brazilian butt lift and Zumba at least 6 days a week. Then 2 years ago pain was so server that at the end of my doubles I was in tears.I would have to drag myself up the stairs. But I danced every day it made me happy. So I finally went to the Dr and as I suspected bone on bone OA both knees so had them both TKR Jan 27 2016 so I am 13 post op and still in the thick of it . I have had several people ask me is the pain different ? Still to new for me to tell it just plain hurts pain is pain. But a lot less then even two weeks ago. Onward and upward. smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Pansy.

You are the only who can say when your ready for TKR . I reached the point where I could no longer stand the pain . But I was still thinking of ways to get out of it while they were prepping me for surgery. And when I came to in recovery I told the nurse I had changed my mind I only wanted one knee done at which she laughed and informed that ship had sailed. So do it when your ready.it does get better.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's time to do something.  What that something IS is yet to be revealed.  I just know I can't go on like this; this is merely exisiting.  The pain stops me in my tracks. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had bone on bone osteo in both knees for the last 10 years prior to left knee TKR in Nov. Usually I could control the pain with NSAID's or Tylenol, until it was finally time to take action. Right knee TKR will occur in a couple years.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've been bone on bone for about 10 years and I believe I've reached the end of mileage on this knee.  I was on Diclofenac for about 5 years and doctors stopped it a little over a year ago.  I alternate between Ibuprofen and Tylenol, along with Tramadol and Lortab. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I took and am still taking co-codamol 30/500 mgs. Two years ago I was bone on bone

on crutches and couldn't walk one step without searing pain. Had a partial on lateral side

of knee as medial was fine. That was January 2014 and I a still in pain

and waiting for an athroscopy to see what went wrong. Could not take

Ibuprofen as I have high blood pressure.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susan, is the searing pain from a pinched nerve or is that part of OA?  It is so painful I nearly jump out of my skin.  The worse I've ever experienced.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The initial pain was the bone on bone but now my surgeon is hoping to

find some soft tissue or other debris caught. This will be determined by the athroscopy

I hope it is this also as I have had enough x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Crutches used to keep full weight off.  OTC meds. Some ice packs. Cortisone was given but doctor didn't tell me it took a while to take effect so went straight to TKR.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up