how soon can i get surgery again

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had my cystocele repair 7.5 weeks ago but my rectocele was left , i do have a slight bulge from it and it really is getting me down , i am so angry that the surgeon thought it was ok to leave me like this , i cant cope knowing i have another prolapse ,the thought of this bulge ending up as big as the one ive just had repaired is having me in tears,i really want it repaired asap im so depressed, how soon after an anterior repair can i get a posterior repair done, x

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Helen73p,

When I had my op 3 years ago the gynaecologist told me that they don't like to do anterior & posterior repairs at the same time as it can leave you "too tight down there" I also have a rectocele & am trying to decide if I should have it done yet. It has got worse since the anterior repair as I think my bladder was supporting it. I think they would say you would have to wait at least until you were completely healed. I know how frustrating it all is!

• Posted

i was told whatever needed repaired would be done as consent form was for all pevic floor , just wish they had done it all as i feel my operation was basically for nothing if i have to go throught it all again so soon and with a 10 month old baby its just a nightmare thought xx
    • Posted

As you have a 10 month old baby I assume you are quite young, are your problems as a result of childbirth? (if you don't mind me asking). Mine are both in their 20's so it has taken quite a while to show up, both my labours were traumatic in their own way so I think that was the cause of mine. My surgeon told me that very few doctors would do both at the same time but maybe this isn't true, he also said they would not do a posterior repair at all unless you were having frequent bowel problems. Knowing what I know now I would have preferred to have got it all out of the way then. I have had so many tests, repeat tests etc etc I wonder if it's just a money making exercise sometimes? I know you don't want to have unnecessary surgery but my quality of life has definitely gone downhill & don't get me started on the anxiety!! If you don't have any bowel problems I wouldn't rush into having anything done yet. Take care. X
    • Posted

I am 43 , my boys are 24,22,14,6 and my daughter is 10 months , would have surgery again in a heartbeat to get rid if this , just seems mad it wasn't fixed 7 weeks ago along with the cystocele xx
    • Posted

I can see what you mean. Try and relax (!) rest & let everyone help out as much as possible. When you are completely healed then see how you feel, you might feel differently and not feel you need the surgery yet if at all. What ever you choose to do I hope it goes well. X
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same and got told the same about ending up too tight. I'm very aware most of the time down there that something just ain't right. I've been trying to pluck up courage to ring for an appointment. I'm 6mths since TOT anterior repair. When I went to get a date for surgery to left foot after repair, that Surgeon said he wanted 3mths between ops mostly cause of greater risk of DVT.
  • Posted

Hello helen. Any consultant would obviously want you to recover from this operation first, both physically and emotionally so a lot will depend on how you are feeling as well as how quickly you heal. If everything is ok then I would think around 4-6 months however a lot could also depend on your consultants workload as well and if he wants a new referral from your GP. I would hope not though, it would be very unfair for you to go on the waiting list again. 

I do agree with you. This could easily have been repaired in one operation x

• Posted

thank you matron , i have my doctor in 10 days so will see what she says, glad to hear you staying smile xx
  • Posted

Hi Helen i understand you, i had anterior repair 4months ago and now I have rectocele, I think it was already at the time of the surgery but it was little but I'm not sure, I have to ask him this Friday I have the appointment. I will ask him also cos although I'm with a physio I don't know if I will end in surgery, I'll tell you as soon as I speak to him. By the way what grade is it? Hugs!!!! Send you positive thoughts!!
    • Posted

i was told they left it as its mild , aww yeah please let me know xx
    • Posted

Mind is mild too but it is disgusting for me, I feel that my rectum is full all the time it's difficult to do kegels like that 😁
    • Posted

Hi, I am 4 months post op and I have now rectocele too I thought I will be pretty again 😃. Now I think maybe its better just live it like it is because another thing may prolapse too 😱

You can read my short story on Helens conversations xx

• Posted

If it is causing you physical problems like pain or having trouble going to the loo then perhaps you should be talking to your surgeon. I also have a slight posterior prolapse which has become more evident after my recent surgery but I am not up to having that fone yet. I had a rectocele repair many years ago when it was much worse than now and I couldn't empty my bowels properly at all and was in alot of pain. It's not that bad at the moment this time. There is a lot you can do to help yourself until you decide on surgery again.
    • Posted

im not in pain or have trouble going to loo with it , think its more the fact its there tbh , i went into having this surgery presuming i would not have a bulge when i woke up, only to be told rectocele was left as it was mimimal , i think regardless of grade it shouldve been fixed, i signed consent form for all pelvic floor and was told that ment what needs fixed would be fixed , x
    • Posted

I understand you very well Helen, as I see its physical but also psycological you can't stand seeing you still with a buldge with so many suffering that you had with surgery, postop etc... My rectocele is mild but I have symptoms... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.