How soon can I go back to the gym after a Scarf Akin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my operation 28th March, Scarf Akin and 2nd toe release and desperate to take part in some exercise other than the limited work I can do at home!

Does anyone have and experience of this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was wondering the same Bronwen. I am a couple of days ahead of you with a Chevron osteotomy and 2nd toe hammer toe repair. I will be asking my surgeon that question on April 7 when I get the stitches out. I am hoping to be able to do upper body work and cycling. Hope you are doing ok with recovery so far. confused
  • Posted

I don't think you can put a date on it as everyone's recovery is completely different.

Your surgeon and your feet themselves will tell you when you are ready. Anyone who has still been swollen from the surgery but tried to try on their normal shoes before their feet will know exactly what I mean!

I say get in touch with your surgeon

• Posted

I had a scarf osteotomy just over 6 weeks ago. Like you I was keen to get back to the gym and go cycling. I

was then given permission to go back to the gym to do light exercises, cycling was OK, but no spin classes.

Standing on the pedals would put too much stress on the joint. My surgeon also said 3 months before I could do any jogging. I have been to the gym twice now and gone for a short 10 minute walk and my calfs are

complaining more than my feet. Best advice is to stay off your feet for the first 2 weeks, the longer the quicker your recovery. Your surgeon will probably ex-ray your foot after 6 weeks and only then give a date.

Everyone's recovery rate is different, age is a factor. I also used elastic gym bands to try and give myself an

upper body workout, but you can't really work the calfs until you put weight on the toes and that is where I am at now. Patience I am afraid is the only virtue in this case.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! This sitting still is driving me mad! I'm desperate to go back to Spin classes as I'm the

Instructor!

I'm on day seven now, this time last week was on the table so to speak!

It's good to know that others are out there in the same situation!

• Posted

Also, forgot to ask! Some much conflicting advice on when I can drive an automatic car. It is my left foot that has been operated on, so right is fine!

Anyone out there driving after a week?

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Bronwen

Consensus of opinion is generally keep foot up for first two weeks,,otherwise it will swell and possibly delay

recovery. Not sure what the insurance company will say as you will have to inform them. Also there is the

matter of getting to and from your car. I am afraid boredom is worse than the pain after this op. Invest in

Netflix and some good games/books. Organise plenty of visitors!

• Posted

If you've got an automatic car and your op was on your left foot then I say get in and go from a short drive!

Yes the boredom is the worst isn't it!!! I ended up doing a fair bit of internet shopping which was great it was delivered as the postman would be a good reason to get up and also I could have a quick chat. I also had a friend who popped in a couple of times a week for lunch (upgraded to going out for lunch) and I wrote a blog. At one point I was a bit teary about being cooped up in the house so my husband started taking me everywhere with him but leaving me in the car (eg pop to the hardware shop) and I was quite happy for the change of scenery.

It was all worth it though!

• Posted

Hi Bronwen......it's my left foot too and I drove my car for the first time on day 7 for a short trip to the supermarket. It was perfectly comfortable. The only limitation is the amount of time you foot can be down without feeling discomfort. I was able to get the few things I needed easily because of the knee scooter. It sure felt good getting out! I actually did a couple of other errands in the mall and headed home when the foot started to twinge. The whole escapade was an hour and as soon as I got home went straight to the ice and elevation.
  • Posted

As a follow up.....saw the surgeon this week on day 12 post op for stitches removal and he said I could go to the gym for upper body work only until the 6 weeks are up and I get out of the post op shoe. I forgot to ask about recumbent bike riding. Anyone ever try that before the bone healing was done?
  • Posted

I'm now day 13 since my surgery. Had the stiches out at 10 days and mostly have only soreness now and mild discomfort. My consultant said no to any lower body type exercise, but against his better advice I did

sit on a spin bike yesterday for 30 mins. So far seemingly no consequences, but we shall see! I have also been using hand weights, doing limited Pilates exercises and so far so good.

I'm still spending a lot of time with my foot up the back of the sofa, trying to get it above my heart! Hey ho, I now understand previous comments about the boredom. Still 4 weeks to go! Aargh......smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.