How soon can I go out walking??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone

I had a TNR 2 weeks ago, doing ok, still got pain but seems to be settling down a bit.

Struggling with my exercises, they just seem to leave me in so much pain for hours after doing them? I do ice before and after? I'm not doing them as often as I should because of this?

I just wondered when I could start taking a little walk outside my home obviously with my crutches?

I am fed up of being house bound and would enjoy some fresh air!!

Is it too soon? I would probably just go to the top of the road and back, then gradually start increasing the distance as and when I feel I could do more?

Any advice please ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Evening!

My Physio was certainly recommending a short walk outside by your stage.

Just make sure you wear sensible shoes, don't overdo it and use both crutches/sticks.

I thought I was going mad on occassion as I had spent so much time indoors, so just get out.  It will also give you confidence.

• Posted

Keep icing, for as long as you like. And keep leg elevated as much as possible . A walk outside is fine , just go as far as is easy and don't forget you have to walk back lol . Use both crutches for a while yet outside.  I was and still am exercising 3 times a day, but the exercises only take 5 /10 mins to do . Keep at them you will soon feel the benefit 
  • Posted

As long as you are on firm level ground without obstacles I would think it would be approved by Dr and therapists. I found taking a pain pill an hour before starting exercise was a benefit. I did this on the advice of therapist. Never iced before but always 20 min afterward with ice all the way around the leg. Don't be too impatient

You are weeks away from where you will wind up. Last thing you need is a fall. That happened toe and I twisted the femur of the bad leg into a torque type fracture requiring an 18" plate and 8 screws inserted in the leg and knee. Do all they tell you to but remember everyone heals at a different rate and your body will give you some guidance on its own. Yes, you will get out of pain but its not an on and off switch. BTW...weather changes, especially barometer can make you think you are backsliding when you aren't. Good luck and blessings to you

• Posted

Hi Schumacher, I agree with others and think a walk outside would be fine. Use both crutches at first and try to keep to even ground. It's so nice to get some fresh air and I'm sure stretching the leg does it good. Don't overdo it obviously.

As for the exercises I sympathise. I didn't find them too bad at first but since I've been given more difficult ones I find they do tire me out. Mine take over 1/2 an hour and I'm doing them 3 times a day! Just hoping it'll be worth it in the end. At your stage I took the strong painkillers spaced out evenly over 24 hours and used ice a lot. I think it's important to do them so try to stick at it. Also, enjoy plenty of rest when you can too. I took an afternoon nap in bed each day. Hope you enjoy your walk.Jen x

• Posted

Hi schumacher

I am 19 weeks post op. I went out for a walk after 2 weeks with both crutches. Just be careful and dont attempt if raining. I only went about 200 yards at first but felt like I was back in charge. Also I did a lot of walking about just in my garden. Take it easy your body will tell you. I thought I would never be back to normal but you get there in the end. Dont worry if you are always tired I think this is one of the effects of TKR. I am having my other knee done soon so it will all start again but this time I will know what to expect. Its the not knowing and wondering whether you are ever going to be right.

• Posted

I also agree I was out walking in a few weeks just to my stop sign but it was a good way to get out

• Posted

I hardly used crutches after the first week. I found I could weight bear easily and then the task was to bend my leg as it moved forward. I went slowly but found it quite doable. Have u been told to keep crutches? The hard part was bending exercises. I did them as I could. Nowhere near as much as I was told because it was painful. I also got some medication to deal with possible nerve damage and that made it easier.Despite this I was always on track when I went for checks. I say listen to your body. If it says enough then enough. If it says you can walk, then walk. Sensible shoes is good advice. I still wear sensible shoes at 5 months. Be brave take the plunge. It's hard as a TKR dominates your life for many months.
  • Posted

defo go for a walk flat ground and short to begin with then ice , your body will let you know if your doing too much , take things slowly and good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.