How to avoid building a tolerence to benzos??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been taking benzos for nearly 2 years on a daily basis ( although I did take a 6 week break). I've tried Valium (up to 40mg: max dose), Lorazepam (up to 10mg), Prazepam/Lysanxia (60mg/ 120 drops)

I didn't start at those doses I started at low doses & worked my way up to the maximum doses ( on a few days I took more than the maximum dose). The only popular benzos I haven't tried are Klonopin & Xanax (Well I have tried Xanax but I only took max 1.5mg).

When I started taking benzos I felt high/sedated but now for last 3-4 months whenever I take a benzo (even the maximum dose like 10mg of Lorazepam or 40mg of Valium) I don't feel anything it doesn't work.

So I'm tapering down on the benzo I'm currently taking ( Prazepam) then I'll quit taking benzos for a while until my tolerence goes down to normal cause right now my tolerence is very high which explains why benzos aren't working for me.

So I need some advice once I start taking benzos again what can I do to avoid building up a tolerence?? If you can share your expereiences ( for those who been taking benzos long term) how do you keep your tolerence low??

I think my tolerence is sky high cause I've been taking benzos everyday instead of maybe every 3 days. Also I take a single dose all in one go I don't take 2-3 doses throughout the day.

So if I take small doses 3 times a day every 3 days not everyday would my tolerence stay low??

I need your advice on how to avoid getting a high tolerence to benzos??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan there is no way to stop tolerance to a benzodiazepam that is why they should only be used for a short period of time and only when absolutely necessary.
  • Posted

Hi Alan. I never got the so called high on Lorazepam or Valium. I only used valium when my back went out and it helped to knock me out without a lot of pain so I could relax and get rid of the spasms. The Lorazepam I was on for 20 years. i felt I had to take it to get more than an hour sleep at a time due to my anxiety. Never slept  good for 30 years or more. Now I am getting off of it due to disability pain meds, Out state does not like the combo of both benzo and pain meds. I never abused them and only took the dose prescribed. Did not know how dangerous these things are and all the people overdosing on these things. So I choose to get off the Lorazepam and wow!  It is so hard to do. at least for me. Nightmares, awful feeling and tossing and turning like there is no hope. Trying desperately to get down to 1 mg. On 1 and a quarter now. Dangerous drugs. If you are a lucky one, stay off of these. It is no joke. I would give anything to be off totally with no withdrawals. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.