how to deal with anxiety about the dentist

Posted , 2 users are following.

this comming thursday i have to go to the dentist to have a a broken tooth extracted. the dentist said its broken down to the root. he also mentioned possible surgical extraction what can i expect about the procedure and also what can i do to lesson my axiety so that when i arrive at the dentist im not as nervous/anxious lastly how long do you think this p[rocedure will take and what should i say to the dentist since i have anxiety

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kaitlin

First of all I would ask for sedation or be put to sleep. You are going to an Orthadontist for this aren't you? Should have had a referral if you have to have surgery.

I would have thought so anyway.

I had my wisdom teeth out years ago I was referred to an orthadontist. Not my usual dentist. I had a crown done last year because of a refilled broken tooth in the end it had to be crowned or extracted.

And I would have had a bridge. I didn't want that I had a crown done. Took two trips to do it. Anyway ask for numbing cream to be put in your gum before the injection.sedation normally takes place in a referral centre. For safety reasons. But I guess each dentist is different.

Your dentist should have gently explained to you what will happen and should have given you options so you are not so scared. I hate going but my dentist that I now have is so gentle she's one of the best dentists I've had.

All the best Liz 😊

• Posted

im going to my regular dentist usually when they say surgical they mean that they have to break it into pieces to pull it out 
    • Posted

i went in as an emergency paitent so i sall what ever dentist could see me between paitents. im pretty sure there just gonna extract the tooth no surgery but who knows last time i had a surgical extraction they just pulled out the tooth by breaking it into pieces

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.