How to find things to make you happy when you depressed!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Everyone I speak to always say find something happy to do, but what if nothing makes you happy? How can you find it? Will I ever find it again? it just seems a dark and lonely place. I don't seem to be able to make the most simple of decisions, does anyone else have the same problems. Please say it gets better!!!!

2 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi shar

I know exactly what you mean about people saying do something that makes you happy. What they don't realise is that it's not just a state of mind but an illness that prevents us from being happy. If I had a big house flash car ten million pounds in the bank and a beautiful girlfriend or wife it wouldn't make one bit of difference to the way I feel and I bet it's the same for you. I'm trying things out to deal with the way I feel like healthy diet and exercise as they are supposed to ease the symptoms but its hard to go to the gym ect when I feel like I can't even get off the sofa. The thing is though I have out my faith in doctors and medication and it never worked for me so now I'm on my own and have to find a way out of this dark place myself

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi there ive heard of the the one keep your self busy and that will cheer you up ! sharr you will find a way that works for you advice is great but at the end of the day you need to use that information to suit you ! have you discussed how you feel with your doctor if not it may help you to do so ! i wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon david x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Shar

It can and does get better!

Inability to make decisions is a classic symptom of depression. Try to avoid putting yourself in that situation wherever possible. Be kind to and don't be too hard on yourself, you are a human being, not a machine. It is mid-winter, and most living things suffer at this time of year. Try taking baby steps. Get as much daylight as you can, and fresh air. Exercise does not have to be in a gym. A walk in a park or the countryside. Try to wear bright colours, you may be surprised at how it can cheer you. Plan something for when the weather gets better, something to look forward to. 

More than anything. stay with us on this site, we understand and sympathise.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi depression is very strange in that you have to do something first in order to find the motivation rather than the other way around so you must force yourself to do something even though I know how hard this can be.  Pick the easiest thing for you to do,  anything and do it.  Doing this one thing might motivate you to either carry on doing it or give you the confidence to do something else as well.  If it doesn't work keep on doing it and eventually it will.  Good luck.  x 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was  expressing my feeling the other day to a conselor, who i will most likely never speak with again, and he just looked at me and nited all you are doing is feeding negative and hopeless thoughts inti your head hiw is your mind going to be okay with that. I was a bit annoyed with him but he did have a point only in that no matter how horrible i feel and sometimes how frustrating things seem to be i quickly make sure i say something positive find some gratitude in anything. I just started doing this have no clue if its useful. Hoping eventually my brain will naturally say sime positive thoughts on its iwn for a change
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

That is the thing with depression unfortunately, we do not enjoy the things we used to.  I have been on holiday to a beautiful place but it meant nothing.  But now I am no so low just walking on the common near my home and hearing the birds sibg, and seeing the beauty makes me less depressed.

Stroking my cat makes me feel calmer.  Don't lkook for things too hard, just do little things thst you know you can achieve.  What did you enjoy before depression?  Can you manage to do just small things each day?  Just a little walk?  Talk to a friend?  Yes depression is a dark and lonely place.

I got a dog long ago when really low and knew I had to take him for walks.  That helped.  I just have a cat now.  Yes I promise you it really does get better.

Hang in there.  One small step at a time.  Depression does take away things, but they will gradually come back, and you will once again feel alive.  Yes things will definitely get better.

Take care and God bless.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up