how to get over symptoms??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop obsessing over anxiety symptoms??? Or how to stop convincing yourself you have some untreatable disease??? I’ve had my heart checked, blood work done, and had a ct scan of my brain, and I STILL keep convincing myself I have something wrong with my heart, a brain tumor, cancer, and ALS. How do I stop???? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI I have been through exact same experience it lasted 2 years but due to some stress in my life at the moment the feelings are back what symptoms do you suffer from
    • Posted

always changing.. but the ones I have right now are shortness of breath, and sometimes a gurgling feeling in my throat, and random pains. these have been going on for about 3 weeks now sad
    • Posted

Hi just reading your message.i get like a drop feeling in chest no palpitations or anything sometime feels like a have to takes deep breaths these just randomly happen doctors say anxiety 
  • Posted

I have this too !! Always shortness of breath everything else I seem to be able to deal with , do you find your only trying to take deep breaths when your thinking about it ?? If I'm busy I find in fine so deep down know it's nothing serious as had all tests like you too but can't seem to believe it's in my mind 😕 ...hopefully eventually it will get better but it's so draining at times

• Posted

I hv same problem and big stress problem. What is your heart rate per mintue? What is the base of your fears. Your tests r normal. Do you feel presure in your heart or chest. What is your age . Do you smoke?
    • Posted

Hi I get like a preesure feeling and a drop feeling in chest at random times very strange it makes me have to cough
    • Posted

Drop feeling in chest .how long do you have these feelings do they come in waves.it's been very bad anxiety today

• Posted

Two years of severe health anxieties with all sorts of scans and tests thinking it was my heart or cancer or something like. Nearly a year and a half after that spell has passed too. You know what I actually came out of all these tests and time...a couple of cases of tonsillitis, strep throat, shingles, a positive test for thyroid marker meaning I maaaay have issues down the line but presently don't warrant medication and a benign mole. Every other concern I had? Anxiety... anxiety and a bit more anxiety. In other words whem I was given something other than anxiety, they were all common and treatable issues ....this from years of stressing, worrying, crying and thinking this is it.

I realised I could either continue to entertain these fears, refuse to believe doctors and live in fear each day. Or accept their diagnosis and work on trusting in it. Cut out Googling symptoms. Read self help books. Talked to therapists. Acknowledge how many others get these symptoms as well and take each day as it comes. Accept the symptoms when they come and let them pass. Learnt breathing techniques. Practice mindfulness. Reduce body scanning. And taking medication to help are some of the things I've tried to help.

Get a new symptom? Let it ride...if I still have it in two weeks time, check in with the doc. Try to retrain my thought process and rarionalise what else could be causing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.