How to know if you are ill or just constantly sad

Posted , 4 users are following.

there is a great different between being sad and being depressed, and being anxious and having anxiety. I think people need to know if they need to receive help or not

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anon

what are the differences for you.

Lynda

• Posted

Well I know someone, who has periods of her life when she is constantly sad and down, she has a sickening knot in her stomach that doesn't leave. She almost seems as a zombie as she doesn't show any emotion when in the presence of others, all though when she's on her own she just cries. She has neither the strength or energy to do anything. She feels so week.

When she hears other people talk about anxiety and depression, it confuses and upsets her. She doesn't want to be 'mentally ill', she just wants to be the happy little girl she was

• Posted

She sounds as if she has depression.  Nobody wants to be mentally ill believe me.  I certainly don't and nor does anyone on this forum, but sadly we have depression.  We have to accept we can be mentally ill as well as physically ill.  Up to your friend whether she wants to accept she may be depressed.  Only a doctor would be able to tell her.  We all want to be happy, of course we do. 
  • Posted

Hi Anon,

If someone is constantly feeling low moods they are possibly depressed and not just sad. I can't say for sure because I am not a health professional.

But in my experience If someone is anxious all the time ranging from mild anxiety up to high anxiety then they probably have an anxiety disorder.

I wish you all the best.

S

• Posted

A definition of depression I have read says that everyone suffers low moods from time to time but if they go on longer than around 3 weeks then it is possible it is depression.  Why not look for an online depression test and take it?  It should give you a good idea if you have it.

Anxiety and depression are often linked but can be separate as well,  but again if this is excessive it needs treatment.  x

• Posted

Yes a lof people think depression is constant sadness.  That is people who have not had depression.  It is because a lot of people say "oh I'm depressed" when they mean they are fed up or a bit sad over something.  Because clinical depression is an illness and has the label "depression" it is easy to think it is not serious, only a passing phase.  I agree with you entirely.  But it will be difficult to educate people to understand the illness depression. 

If someone has a constant low mood and they feel everything is difficult then hopefully they would see their doctor to discuss.  We cannot make people go to seek medical help if they feel they are just "low" or "anxious."  It is up to the individual to know when they need help from the medical profession.  Some people can manage their symptoms themselves. 

• Posted

Thank you, it becomes annoying when someone says, "I am suffering from depression/anxiety". They are just sad or anxious. If the terms are thrown about, and used so frequently in less serious problem, the actual condition is going to be viewed as less or not a big deal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.