How to support partner with anxiety who pushes you away?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm currently engaged to someone who seems to have a pretty high level of anxiety. We were together almost a year but there was never any indication of his condition. After we got engaged and I was planning to move in (which he was very excited about), he snapped at work one day and hasn't spoken to me since. He broke up with me via email and many things he has told me don't make sense. He says he stopped enjoying life without me, he needed to slow down and I needed to respect his pace. It's been 6 weeks and he hasn't returned a phone call or email ( he is someone who used to contact me throughout the day no matter what). I'm having a hard time distinguishing if this is anxiety (I know he wasn't able to be in the military because of any anixety condition) or if it's more than that. I'm also not sure how to handle because he clearly doesn't want me involved but he doesn't seem to be getting any better on his own. Any thoughts would be helpful.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rubydarling! First off, I want to tell you, I feel your pain. Four years ago I went through a really bad divorce, after that my mother passed away from a severe infection, and at that time, my boyfriend’ mother and stepmother passed away. The pain, the anxiety, the sadness, was all too much for me to handle. I slipped into severe anxiety and depression. I had never experienced this before, and it was horrific. I drag myself away from the divorce and moved into an apartment. Literally, for two years I went to work and went back to my apartment. Periodically, I would go and stay at my sisters house on the weekends just to get out and get some fresh air. I lost all contact with my friends and my relatives.  I couldn’t travel, the thought of getting in a car and driving a long distance made me experience panic attacks and it was difficult to even form words to talk. My friends were constantly asking me to come down the seashore and get rest, to go to dinner, and so many other activities. But I was frozen, I was paralyzed with fear and panic. No one knows what it’s like, unless you experience it. I tried so many times to explain it to my family and friends, but they just didn’t understand. So I withdrew. I work for a major pharmaceutical company, and I thought to myself, I need to get better to help other patients.  I went on the Internet and started to research for the next two years. I went to conventional doctors, but they could not help me. I then started getting involved with alternative and holistic medicine. These are natural supplements and minerals that would help me heal my body. I was experiencing major adrenal fatigue. Dr. Thomas Wilson writes a book, adrenal fatigue,  The 21st-century stress syndrome. I suggest you buy this book, read it cover to cover. This book was my life. Today I am anxiety, depression, and panic free. I am not taking any pharmaceutical medications, I am 57 years old. It is strictly supplements, exercise, and good eating. Unfortunately, My previous boyfriend and I broke up, due to the strain that we experienced. But we both thank each other for being there for each other. About three months ago I met someone who I consider my soulmate. Unfortunately, he informed me that he has anxiety and depression and was embarrassed to tell me. I am embracing the thought that I was meant to help him. He has seen my alternative medicine doctor, and is on the same supplements that I was on. He did try to push me away and tell me he couldn’t see me anymore. But I just keep calling him and telling him I’m there for him and he appreciates it. My best suggestion to you is, find a top notch alternative medicine doctor, and have your friend get a micronutrient blood test. This measures hormones, vitamins, and nutrients that she may be lacking.  The holy Grail for me was the vitamin B complex. Literally, in 1 to 2 weeks my world changed completely. The reader on this forum, 77577, has no idea what me and your girlfriend are experiencing. Don’t listen to this person. Be there for your friend. My friends stuck by me through all of this. They were my angels! Hang in there and keep me posted. Love is uncondiotional, Love is kind! Peace to you both!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.