How to tell if acute pancreatitis has turned chronic?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I am 27 year old in-shape male. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis 4 weeks ago after I went out and had a lot to drink. I woke up the next day feeling fine minus the hangover. At the end of the day I ate a 2 1/2 rolls of sushi and got a horrible pain in my upper stomach  . I woke up that next morning feeling awful exhibiting symptoms that were explained to me as AP due to alcoholism after visiting the ER and getting fluids for 7-8 hours.

As a recap I drank 2-3 days a week in college but tapered off the past few years  . It took 5 days to get almost back to normal after admitting myself into the ER. On the 8th day back from the hospital I ate sushi (not as much as the first time  1 1/2 rolls and got sick again, similar symptoms as before but not quite as bad, I recovered in 3 days on a liquid diet. 7 days later I relapsed after dinner, and a snack. ( at this point I’m doing meal prep, eating smaller portions and constantly battling food cravings.) I recovered after 2 days and now 3 days later I have got sick again from eating a late night snack ( this Attack was the least painful of all.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I can’t eat before bed anymore which will be a huge adjustment for me, but is there still a chance I can make a full recovery? I have not drank alcohol since the incident and avoid fattening foods.  I can’t eat dairy  because of my collitis. 

I am very nervous about everything and can’t imagine having to manage chronic pancreatitis with my ongoing gastro issues.

Any feedback from anyone who went through this that can share I would really appreciate it.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So a little insight after my first accute attack I couldn't eat normal for about 4 months. What that means is low fat and try to stay away from added sugar also no red meat.

The pancreas is a very slow healing organ and can take about a year to heal providing you dont do any more to damage it. Alcohol is not your friend and should be given up especially since it was the cause for you.

Did they do any kind of scan? If you have progressed to chronic it should have shown damage. My bet is you're just recovering and not eating right (trust me it hurts)

I would follow up with a gastroenterologist preferably one who specializes in the pancreas just to be safe but I think if you just change the diet and give your body time you'll be ok

• Posted

Look up the national pancreas foundation they have a great free cook book and approved foods list
    • Posted

It’s been 4 months since I was diagnosed and you were completely right. Turns out I had complications of gastritis that became chronic. I went on a complete alkaline diet, and low fat along with a combination of drinking tons of pedialyte/ g2 Gatorade and completely changing my diet + proton pump inhibitors and H2 blockers. It just takes time, I agree. I think eating huge portions on an empty stomach is what also caused me to get sick. I haven’t been sick an almost a month and everyday is truly a blessing. I went from weighing 195 to 176 and started to workout again and now I’m in the best shape of my life since I’m thin. Ive been staying away from alcohol, might have 1 glass whiskey if that every other week but that’s it. I never thought I was going to get better and was losing all hope, but you have to believe that things will get better your attitude is everything. This post really helped me and I hope others who are dealing with this can use this as a comfort knowing recovery takes time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.