How to use Acid Blocking drugs without acid rebound.

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have used acid blocking drugs on and off for the past 2 years.  In march I finally got off nexium, but occationally I still feel like I have too much acid in my stomach.  I don't want my stomach to damage itself.  Some mornings I wake up with a sore stomach, I make too much acid while sleeping.  So, for the past few weeks, I've been taking a 10mg generic  famotidine tablet about 30 minutes before bed with some crackers and water.  This has been enough to protect my stomach until morning.  During  the day I can eat normally and my stomach appears to make acid to break down my food.  I have read  medical desciptions on acid blockers, and many researchers believe that when people take acid blockers daily, the chemical signal to make acid builds up in the stomach lining, and as soon as acid blockers are stopped, then all that built up chemical signal is released causing the stomach to make massive amounts of acid (acid revenge).  Taking the mild acid blocker that wears off by morning allows the stomach to make acid during  the day, so there is no build up of the chemical signal in the stomach lining.

I no longer have acid reflux so any burning is confined to my stomach.  If you want to know how I cured my acid reflux just ask, but it is another story.

Regards, Jonathan

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Good point.

I am wondering what was the source of problem for your acid reflux. Mine is LES.

and how you overcome the reflux finally?

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi:  I have had digstive issues for over 20 years.  My latest problems started about 6 years ago.  It was mainly acid reflux.  Daytime and nighttime.  Eventually i found out that my steroidal alergy spray damaged my LES, stomach and small intestines.  I have been off of the drug since Feb 2015 and I'm hoping I will recover fully. 

.  After much research and meditation on how the esophageal sphincter functions, I discovered a low cost solution.  Two or three times a day I drink carbonated mineral water or selzer water.  About 8oz per treatment.   After drinking it, I hold back the burp.  You have to really focus on this because it is easy to burp out the pressure.  After doing this for about 1 month I was able to hold the pressure over 30 minutes. Then burp the air out.  Make sure to always do this once right before bed.  This forces the esophageal sphincter to work hard to hold down the increasing air pressure.  It is the only way to strengthen this muscle

• Posted

Thank you I will try this.

I am trying the diaphragm breathing for LES. I feel better but my GP told me that the LES will never get healed and this is disappointing!

• Posted

I know that's what they say, because they only view surgery as a cure.  But, even surgery can have bad side effects.  I hope the carbonated water will help you by strngthening your LES.  Keep me informed if you try it.
    • Posted

But instead of carbonated water you can try it with all the other liquids, right?

When I drink even a normal juice I have the need to burp, and sometimes I cant even if I want!

• Posted

Thank you Jonathan, that was interesting. I too have been on strong acid inhibitors abs thought it was not good to stay on for too long. Like you, I eat a couple if crackers at night and have reduced the strength of the inhibitirs but still get burning gullet and throat. It's unbearable so any advice on how to stop acid would be greatly appreciated. 
    • Posted

It's easy to stop the acid, increase your PPI back to the level where you didn't get the burning sensation in the morning. I take a me a high dose and have done for a long time and will continue to do so.

if you are worried about dangers then I would give up going in cars, very dangerous and they kill people on a daily basis, haven't heard that about PPI

• Posted

Not worried about dangers, it just doent work and it's a waste of time taking it.
    • Posted

Hi Giblet:  One important  thing about taking acid blockers, they can cause a chemical burn on the stomach lining as they disolve.  Always make sure to take them with food and lots of water.  Our bodies can become resistant to them, so I try to have a few different ones and rotate them. And sleep on a wedge or raise the head of your bed.  If you can prevent the burning while you sleep, you will feel better during the day.  Doing the carbonated water treatment mentioned above will help also.  Regards, Johnathan
    • Posted

If I take 15mg PPI it doesn't work, if I take 30mg it works great....... therefore you can't say it doesn't work because it could be as simple as your dose is wrong but you need to change the dose working with a doctor

• Posted

Hi Jon,

I am currently on 3 month PPI for stomach ulcers and am nearing my end of the 3rd month. I hope once I go off the PPI i am healed. What I think that may help you would be to take 2 slippery elm tablets before going to sleep. If you believe 1 is enough then take one, I would try this for 1 month it should help regulate the acid production. I read somewhere it takes 1 to 2 months for acid production to reach normal levels after PPI is stopped so you have to protect the stomach for that long.

• Posted

Hi vergi:  Thanks for that information.  I will definitely give it a try.  I have recently added milk thistle to help reduce acid and protect the stomach.  But I did not notice anything dramatic.  I do know that when you get off acid blockers you will need to wean off slowly.  Back in February when I got off nexium I was opening the capsules and just taking 3/4 dose or 1/2 dose or 1/4 dose.  But, like I mentioned I am still dealing with the night time issue.  One thing that I found helpful is ice cold water, which seems to shock the stomach and shut it down.  I hope you are feeling better soon. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up