Hrt

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies. Are any of you on hrt. I have been on it for over a year now. Periods hit and miss. I'm also starting to feel a bit depressed is this normal when on hrt?😱

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gill, I am pretty adamant against HITS but I recently found a great formula and I have not had a hot flash for 3 days and it's all natural. If you are interested I can send you the ingredients.
    • Posted

Ooh! Thanks I would really appreciate any advice. Apart from the hot flushes do you have any other symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Gill,

I was on antI depressants for a long time before I went onto HRT.  When I started HRT my mood completely lifted and I was back to my happy bubbly self again.  So much so that I  stopped taking the anti depressants.  Due to me having fibroids I've had to come off the HRT and stopped completely at the end of January.  I was worried I may get depressed again but I've taken B vitamins which helps moods and so far so good.  Yes I have the odd few days where I'm a little down but nothing as bad as before I went onto the HRT and I was suffering with really bad depression.

Hrt didn't help all my peri symptoms.....I still had the flushes and excessive sweating!  Periods were short and lighter but they are much the same now.

E. x

• Posted

Thank you for your story.it helps when you know your not alone. My periods have been on and off for about 4yrs now. It seems never ending.xx😔
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

Interesting reading about your experience with ADs with HRT.

Read really good article of 3 women given ADs for their symptoms of Peri and felt worse until they were diagnosed with Peri and given HRT alone. All felt so much better.

Gutted for you re: fibroids. What a bummer! Felt good to hear that HRT had helped you tho' as I do know I'll probably go that route eventually. Hope I ain't got bloody fibroids because I'd want the HRT to protect my bones!

The only time I've talked to the Nurse Pract'r about my Peri symptoms, she only heard me (joke) about having a few years while watching 'Don't tell the Bride'.......and was given a proscription for SSRIs!! Stupid cow - me not her - let my sense of humour get the better of me!

Won't be doing that route (have a much older sister with serious mental health issues who relies on a cocktail of antipsychotic meds, so I know a little about ADs/SSRIs).

I understand that these are being prescribed as a recognised form of treating Peri/Meno symptoms in the UK now. But I'm much more inclined to supporting my poor ol' bones really.

My husband thought it was a joke when he saw my prescription and between us we exhausted our very extensive use of expletives(and there's a few!). But it was a good wake up call.

Started reading what others were using on here; researching al

l the minerals and vitamins that help us ladies, and got myself a supply of Menopace Original, and now topping up with Magnesium.

Apart from feeling p*ssed off that I've got yet another - perfect timing as usual! - period, I've been feeling great both physically with the terrible aching joints etc improving 100%, and also mentally as I've been in a really good mood after feeling so sh*tty over Xmas. (Think the N/P appoint't was a great wake up call.)

Elaine, please don't think I'm completely anti-ADs etc. Its just I probably associate them and their ilk with my sister's need, and I truly appreciate how they've helped her these past 14+yrs. But I've seen her withdraw with dire consequences because she said she felt well....as she couldnt understand that was solely because she was taking her meds!!!

Keep the faith girl, you sound like you're doing OK. But dont let

this bugger drag you down :-)

Sx

• Posted

Hi Elaine

May I ask what strenght you been on? I started HRT a month ago  (1 mg estrogen) I'm still peri although pretty far in, my anxiety gotten really bad and I started to have depression also and although the 1 mg helped a bit now (I guess I'm second half of cycle if there is still such a thing) I feel symptoms worsening again since a few days....- I wonder if maybe my dosage is too low...Ah yes I started AD's too so take them both together....

Thanks

Manuela

• Posted

Hi Manuela

I was on the low dose HRT Prempak C 0.625mg.   I tried the higher dose but it gave me really bad headaches.  Have you tried the B vitamins or herbal lik St John's Wort?

Elaine

• Posted

Shaznay, 

Thanks for your lovely message.  I'm plodding on and trying to cope with all these peri symptoms while working two jobs.  I've a UTI at the moment an feels like a red hot poker stuck up my *****!!!! Chronic lower back ache too, so not doing great at the moment sad

Won't let the bugger drag me down though wink

E. x

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your answer smile I looked it up, 0.625 conj. estrogen equals 2 mg of 17B Oestradiol, I am taking 1 mg atm....Maybe I should try to up the dose, seeing I'm only 41 my body supposed to have a bit higher estrogen...sad

I have tried Vitamin B's, and still am taking them. I used to be on AD's for the last 6 years as I had anxiety but June last year I started to have really off the planet thoughts so I stopped them as obviously they didnt work (I even upped the dosage). For the last 7 months I tried the natural way, just vitamins etc but my anxiety got progressively worst to the point of panic attacks, to top it off I started to get depression doom and gloom thoughts, lack of motivation, tired but couldnt sleep. Plus hot/ cold, stiff, feverish feeling. So I eventually gave in on AD's (new ones) on the 29.1.15 and soon after also started the 1 mg oestradiol 5mg Progesterone HRT. I am pretty sure that I started peri a few years ago already as my FSH was on 110 2 years ago..sad I am feeling ok now, not quite there, still have some vague doom gloom/ paranoid negative thinking just not AS bad hence I wonder if maybe uping the HRT might be a good idea....

Manuela

• Posted

Hi Gill.  I have tried numerous hrt and unfortunately my body does not like them, I was on them for 4 years with no real differance,  mood swings were worse on them, 

gyni not a lot of help saidthat I had tried everything and there was nothing else to try, I am now on sertraline which is an antidepressant, it has helped a lot, I still got very bad sweating all night and day it's the worse thing as well as the panic and anxiety, I can put up with everything else apart from the psychological stuff.

i also developed hypothyroidisum at the same time as starting meno, I have had the worst 4 years of my life, had mirena coil fitted for the progestetone and ended up in hospital with the most debilitating infection I have ever had, thought I was going to die.  Lost 2 stone most of my hair and now my hypothyroid has gone hyper, which is awful body goes into fast mode for everything, think either too much thyroxine medication or there is a problem with my piturity gland,  then total exhausted, I can't win at the moment, so hot all the time shaking.

answer o your question Gill is try them there is a lot out there and they may work for you, if you feel worse on them, ask to try amother one.

i am going to try sage, have to be careful with what I take for interactions with other medication.

good luck😊

• Posted

Thank you ever so much.you also have had a rough time. We just seem to get over one problem then another one pops up! Would you suggest to stop the hrt cold turkey or wean myself of it?xx😁
    • Posted

I'm not sure what you should do, I can only give you my experiences, you should visit gp for advice about that, but cold turkey for me was not pleasant.  😊good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    • Posted

i Gill,

I've recently come off HRT but I advise weaning off slowly.  I started dropping one tablet a week for 3/4 wks then two tablets and so on.......

I eventually completely stopped by the end of Jan this year.  I wouldn't advise cold turkey it would be to much of a shock to your body.  How long have you been on HRT?

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine . Roughly 2.yrs now. I really don't feel there doing me any good. I feel like there's a dark cloud hanging over me especially 1st thing in a morning.😞
    • Posted

You may be doing the right thing weaning off HRT. I would talk to your doctor first though.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.