HRT and Melasma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm totally new to this after today receiving confirmation that I am perimenopausal... I'm 38!!!!

I've had various gynaecological problems since having one of my fallopian tubes removed following my second ectopic pregnancy 5 years ago.

Shortly after my second ectopic pregnancy, I developed melasma on my face which was life changing! I hated going outside and would avoid it al all costs! I've relaxed a bit with it not but I do avoid direct sun light and wear SPF110 every day come rain or shine.

My GP has suggested that I go on HRT to try and manage my symptoms (hot flushes, unbearable mood swings, irregular bleeding (8 weeks into my latest bout of bleeding sad ), etc but I am worried that it will exacerbate the pigmentation on my skin. I am deeply conscious about the patches especially the one above my top lip. I pile on the makeup every day and will not go outdoors without the mask of makeup to hide the imperfections. I’ve avoided the contraceptive pill since the melasma started in fear that it will get worse. Now I’m faced with the uncertainty of taking HRT not knowing much about the menopause or HRT (I’m doing my research though).

Any suggestions, feedback and or advice would be very much appreciated. x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry that your skin has this issue. Especially on your face. 

It wouldn't hurt to try HRT it can help control al,the symptoms you have described. 

Its a tough balance to to cope with HRT and skin . 

• Posted

Thank you for commenting. Such a difficult decision to make but maybe it's worth a trial! X

• Posted

There you go a positive attitude!😊I luv it.

se a derm for treatment for the spot on your lip. I saw something awhile back om tv that laser treatments were used to help small areas like you have on the skin.

A trip to a derm that specializes in these treatment is worth a try. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.