HRT & Bleeding: Please give me your advice ladies

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am so miserable & scared.  I had to have a Hysteroscopy last year due to spotting and the fibroid they found couldn't be removed.  I started HRT in Feb , during which I had one " period" type bleed.  It was changed as I had bad bruising on my leg round the patch area.  Have been on Evorel Conti for 9 weeks & had a " period" again last week.  The Obs & Gynae doctor who I happened to be seeing today now says I need another Hysteroscopy ( terrifying as I have a Spinal Anaesthesia) & if they cannot remove the fibroid I have to go for some resection thing which may end up being a Hysterectomy.  I wish I had mentioned the anger & sore boobs before the bleed, to illustrate the fact that it was probably hormonal.  grrr!!  She will probably take me off HRT after this which means my life will be hell all over again.

I know they have to follow guidelines for cancer risk but I really don't want this done.  Please can anyone give me any advice, if you have been through similar, what did you do?

Thanks for reading

xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Is it possible to numb the area for this to be done?

Is it the pain from the procedure or pain from your spine.  I feel for you.  I may have to have this done because I spot most days.  I’m dreading it xx

• Posted

Hi Cilla

thank you for replying.  pls don't worry you will be fine.  it is worse for me cos of the spinal which is not an easy thing to go through and you can't move for about 6-8 hrs after.  Also I have 2 fibroids they tried to remove last time.   the procedure itself it painless and there is no pain after, just some light watery bleeding for about 5 days.  best of luck xx

• Posted

Sorry that you're going through this.  It's so frightening.  However, you're not a doctor.  And for a good doctor, "probably" is not acceptable for them or their patients.  It could be hormones, but for your sake, your doctor is trying to find out what's going on before your health is severely compromised.

If you stay on hormones and you have hormone receptive cancer, its growth will speed up.  And, there's nothing like the hell of cancer.  

Please try to take heart and cooperate with your doctor.  Take one day at a time, if you can.  Best of luck to you. xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda   thanks so much for replying.  I think I have to go with their plans for me, as a former Nurse I know only too well the risks of HRT & as they put it " unscheduled bleeding"   I understand the risks of cancer as we all do when taking HRT but the risks are tiny when you look at the data. i.e. if there is 1 in 1000  the doubling of risk which is often quoted still only means 2 in 1000/  I think the big C is the worst fear of us all, it certainly is for me.  I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet again for the 3rd time and hope all is well & I can continue my HRT which has made me feel human again!   Best to you too xx

• Posted

I wish you the best!  Please let me know how you get on! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.