HRt dosage?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on evorel 25mg for 6 weeks due to having hysterectomy with BSO, my heart palpitaions have stopped but still getting hot flushes day & night. I m due to see doctor Friday to discuss my dosage but think he wants me to stay at lowest dose for safety reasons as he said i'll have to come off it in couple of years anyway when i reach 51-52 years.

Has anyone stayed at the lowest dosage and had same effect or did you higher the dosage?

I'm really not sure what to do. Do i ask for the 50mg or stay as i am and wait for the hot flushes to go naturally?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nanny, If you got the time and patience I would advise you to read some info at CEMCOR web site. The project coordinator is Canadian Dr. and Professor Jerilynn Prior and she advocates the use of some natural progesterone even in hysterectomised women: article "Decreased Sex Drive After Ovariectomy". Since she's a doctor and an expert in the field perhaps it would be a starting point to approach the subjet with your doctor. I hope it helps. Teresa.
  • Posted

Hi Nanny to 5,  Sorry to hear you are still getting those awful hot flushes. You know if I was you I wouldn't want to be suffering those and would want to have a change of pill from either my own doctor or discuss this with a gynaecologist. This is YOUR life and you DESERVE to feel well. I was put on HRT 23 years ago. I was lucky as the second pill (Livial 2.5 mg) suited me perfectly and still take it to this day. Despite several different family doctors along the way telling me it was time to STOP, I have refused and I am still on the same tablets. I will soon be 71 and I'm fit and well (so far) have no symptoms of menopause, no arthritis or the usual aches and pains that old age can bring. I still have an active sex life too (I married a man 8yrs younger, 3 yrs ago after my first husband died) so all so far is brilliant.

I am aware of the dangerous some so called experts warn us about, and I read the various surveys and reports, but I live for the NOW and not what MIGHT happen in the distant future. Hey, if I pop my clogs at 80 will be able to say "I've had a good and active life!". I don't want to grow really old and be senile in a home for the elderly, do you? My new lady GP told me that the head of the Gynae department at our local hospital is advising family doctors, "If mature ladies are happy to stay on their HRT and know and accept the risks, let them continue; it keeps them out of doctors' surgeries". Don't suffer in silence there is life after hysterectomy/menopause etc. Best wishes and hope you feel better very soon. LadyPink 

• Posted

Hi. I'm very interested that you stayed on livial 2.5mg as that's what I've been given as can't take hrt for 6 months after ovary removal because of chance of endometriosis returning. I've been told that because it's a steroid rather than hrt that's the maximum I can take. I have few hot spells but seems to be keeping the menopause at bay. I'm going to be on something a few years as only just turned 40. If actual hrt doesn't suit me it would be good to know I can go back to livial which does.

Gail. It's better to be on amount that cures symptoms now and reduce back down before coming off completely than put up with symptoms. I was told I'd be on high dose to 50 and low dose to 60 to minimise the risk not having it in system. I hope Dr listens xx

• Posted

Thanks Froggy, I think I m going to ask for the dosage to be highered, b
    • Posted

But then I worry about having too much in my system causing breast pain etc, it's more complicated than I thought x
    • Posted

You can always lower dose again if symptoms worse with higher dose. You weren't menopausal beforehand were you? If not you are like me and have gone from all to nothing so you'd only be getting levels of what you had in your system naturally. My Dr said to prepare myself of months of trying to find right type and dosage. My worst symptom is my memory. I forget every day to take them and it's been 6 weeks now. You'd think I'd have got into a routine now but no!!! Even have me phone remind me every morning and I still forget when I silence the alarm. Dreading going back to work as it's quite mentally challenging because of all the things to remember as so busy. I'll be warning them that I'm sure they took my brain out by mistake!!! Good luck at drs!xx
    • Posted

hi froggy

Gyno agreed i need a higher dose and is going to write to doc to prescribe me a higher one. Got to agree about memory, mine isnt so good, i used to remember everything, names, places, appointments but now i just cannot remember anything like that.

I just hope the higher dose will stop these vile flushes and some achy bones that i still have x

• Posted

That's great news. Really hope symptoms settle quickly xx
    • Posted

Nanny, the best way not to have too much in your system is 

- having some time off regularly;

- do some liver cleanse... milk thistle, artichoke, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.