HRT or not?

Posted , 7 users are following.

iv been suffering with peri for at least 4 years and I have only just had my 44th birthday. Originally it started with low energy missed periods, and feeling low, but about 2 years ago it was getting worse with joint pain, foggy head, exhaustion, nausea, sinus and ear pain, tinnitus and dizziness. Since last November the UTI feelings, needing to pee, empty bowels and acid  reflux and IBS has kicked in. The Dr did diagnose ME and Fibro last year, but after reading some of the discussions on here I think it is more Peri symptoms. Anyway after all that my dr has recommended that I try HRT as I am very young to be without oestrogen and it will make me feel better. I have been trying the natural reute which helps with the hot flushes, night sweats and disturbed sleep. Has anyone here had a good result using HRT? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi Mo

sounds just like peri symptoms, i started peri aged 40 .. Lastes 10 years..

only you can decide if you want HRT hun

all personal choice ..

good luck 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Mo,

Been there as many have in making that decision. My symptoms were debilitating and I believe those who have decided to go HRT did so because it comes down to risk vs quality of life. New reports came out in March 2015 regarding the risks it stated that the risks of women who took HRT were really no greater than in women who did not regarding cancers here in USA. I have had this discussion many times with my GYN and he hasn't any concerns that claim otherwise. Personally I will die with HRT prescribed Heaven forbid there isn't any in the afterlife just in case!!!

Best to you and your choice will be exactly that.

• Posted

Hi Mo333jo

I am 46 and in post menopausal I am not to fond of HRT, because of my blood pressure, my diabetes, my anxieties, would be up the roof if I were on HRT. I am on a lot of Medications 

I advise that you talk to your doctor and it is up to you and how you feel if the HRT is working. 

Good luck and hang in there

• Posted

Hi Mo I'm 32 was diagnosed with early menopause 4 years ago. I am on HRT and it has really helped me. Flushes have calmed down a lot don't get a lot of aches. The biggest thing was my mood swings and depression. I'm now off anti depressants and take Ellet dual. I know HRT is not for everyone so u have to decide what way is best for yourself. My daughter was 8 when I was diagnosed and I was crabbit short and no energy to do anything with her. It really turned me around and gave me that time to sort my head out. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi - you say that you have had good results with natural remedies you have tried, what are the symptoms the GP suggests HRT will help with?  Maybe that can help you decide - do a pro's and con's list about your feelings taking it, the risks and benefits.

If you have ME and Fibro, could some symptoms be due to this?  Are there any other things you can add in terms of supplements, diet, relaxation etc that might support your general wellbeing?

It is true that being without estrogen young is not good, I am 45 and was told I was menopausal when I had a very high FSH and one missed period, I have now had normal readings and two normal (a bit heavier) periods - I don't have hot flushes etc, so it's not really clear to me if estrogen really is low.  Your flushes suggest yours might be, but it's hard to tell - our hormones go all over the place at this point.

I think taking some more time to try and work out how you can address the main symptoms that are bothering you, might help you make a choice.  HRT helps a lot of women.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.