HRT Question

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, so what would you do? I'm home for a year now with debilitating anxiety. I can't do much at all due to this due to peri. My mom died from HRT. She got a lung disease from it years ago. So, I'm scared to take it and on top of that I smoke and even if I quit it's risky. So, would you hold out even if this took me another year to get out of this? I'm home and my family is thriving and I'm like not here. I'm getting so upset. My husband is not worried about the time it's going to take but, I am and I can feel I'm not close to this breaking anytime soon. I don't know what to do. Tired of suffering. Thanks..

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

And they def linked HRT to your Mom's condition? I am in a similar situation. Getting all the bad symptoms but not sure about hormones. I do think they know more about HRT now so it may be safer. Also I'm looking into a new kind of thing called Hormone Cycling where instead of static hormone doses they try to mimic your natural hormone cycle so different doses, different hormones at different times. They are doing a study but a lot of naturopaths already offer it and a nurse on FB. I personally just want my life back. It's one thing after another and I can't not work because I'm single so the anxiety and all the symptoms have been really really tough. I feel for you. Hang in there.

• Posted

My mom was the only women in my family to take HRT and the only woman in my family who died of cancer. It happened after 4 years of taking it. The lung fungus she had was directly linked with the HRT she was taking. This was many years ago though and it could be safer now but, she struggled with the menopause and then I watched her suffer from the cancer so, it scares me. As I look back even after taking the HRT she wasn't her same self. It may be adrenal issues that is causing this for me too and there's not much you can do for that other than eating right, resting, exercising. I'm doing all of that. I'm taking that natural muscle relaxer. I think I messaged you about that previously. That's really helped me calm down and it's the only thing that helped with restlessness but, the anxiety is the worst. I started CBD pills just a few days ago to see if that helps for anxiety. I've tried everything else for it and nothing works. I can't work either due to the anxiety. I feel for you too. I want my life back too. I watch everybody running around and think wow, I used to be just like that. It can get you down many days as the days continue on as you deal with this. Thanks for your caring reply Sakura. Sending you prayers.

• Posted

I'm with you. The anxiety has been the worst for me since I already had preexisting PTSD. Some days I can barely function. Thankfully I work from home. I think we need doctors to take women's suffering seriously and not focus on the few women with no issues. People are technically dying from menopause if they develop conditions like heart attacks etc due to hormone loss or they take HRT like your mom so they can function and it leads to something worse. I don't get how we evolved to be like this when men don't go through this. Why since we are all living longer haven't we evolved to be more like men and go through menopause much later at leas? Or have menopause just mean we're out of eggs not that everything else goes to hell...

• Posted

If men went through this they would have already had a cure. They would have demanded it or been jumping off cliffs. They couldn't handle this. I've only found women such as us suffering with severe symptoms on line. I don't feel as alone but, it's so hard. Very little help other than HRT which can hurt or end your life. The lack of research blows my mind. I read tonight on line some info about how you can't let something such as this that happens to you biologically define you. It's a powerful message but, I believe one that only works when you have the strength to do that. I pray one day soon and for you we will all be close to that so, we can start living again. Hugs to you Sakura.....

• Posted

YES! You are so right about men. They would have a cure right now if it was them. It also makes you think if there is god he is a man. Why else can men have babies at 70???? And women fall apart in their 40s or earlier. I think there is still a lot of "lady problems" "women are too emotional/hysterical" stereotypes out there even among female doctors who don't take women like us seriously because they haven't had the same experience. I've heard of so many women quitting their jobs or getting divorced because of menopause. Or like your mom trying HRT and then leading to something terrible. I really hope better research comes soon. Your hormones effect EVERYTHING for women. I'm even having tooth issues that I think are related. The hormone cycling study I mentioned is happening in Irvine, CA. Hugs to you too. You make me feel less crazy and alone. I wish we all lived in the same city and could meet. 😃

• Posted

hi there - i am 7 years post & three years when my symptoms really ramped up & i tried to go on HRT at 60 yrs, i was told i was too old to be put on them. It has been a battle & i sometimes wish i would have gotten my yucky symptoms earlier so i could have explored going on HRT. I have battled anxiety but not to the extent it sounds like you have. i have tried everything, meditation, yoga, multiple supplements, essential oils, cbd sprays, acupunture &all have really helped, but for me the thing i think that has helped the most is when i do have an attack, i just say to myself that this is just a chemical in my body releasing & i try to distract myself by putting my hands in cold water & just try & take the power away from the attack by saying things like this is just a phase, i will not die from this, this has no control over me etc & it seems to lessen the intensity of the attack or adrenaline rush - there are also many people to listen to about anxiety online. so to answer your question, given what you have said about your past history with your Mom & smoking, i would not attempt HRT. I would however try & conquer your anxiety the best way possible & try to stop feeding the beast - i think once you overcome this, it will give you power to deal with your other physical symptoms should they pop up - good luck - rasier said than done i know - do you also take magnesium?

• Posted

Thanks Debra for your caring reply. Yes, I take magnesium. I'm starting to calm myself down and really just trying to focus on what is directly in front of me. Last night I took 4 of these natural muscle relaxers that have helped. I normally take 2 but, taking 2 more later in the day is helping. I'm still on CBD but, only taking one pill now and the Pro Estro. The anxiety is a beast. You said that right. That's the perfect description for this. I now realize that when I was younger I probably had some too and always powered through it without knowing because I feel like you don't fall from it if your not over thinking it constantly which this makes you do. I said this morning. I have to keep trying to push forward no matter what and remember that I always used to for my life. So, hard with this though. I'm hoping when I actually enter menopause and post I'm not in for a 2nd and 3rd round. I need to stop thinking about that though too!!! xo

• Posted

Hello

I'm not a fan of suffering, I'm a bit of a puss but I held off for a long time with hrt and meds because I can't stand side effects. In the end I just wasn't able to function with the anxiety and started bhrt. I'm now on antidepressants. It's a completely personal choice, but it's worth seeing what options you have whether that's hrt, anxiety tablets, natural therapies etc. It just depends whether the impact of not taking something outweigh some of the horrible symptoms. Good luck xx

• Posted

Yes I am thinking the same. If you can't function, work and everything is falling apart some times you have to take the risk for any kind of help. We just need better, safer options and more research.

• Posted

Hey Sassyr12a, I'm curious. How did the bhrt work for you? I can't take antidepressants. Yes, I'm sure my mom outweighed the impact of not taking something vs the horrible symptoms but, she had the horrible symptoms and then suffered from the cancer brought on by the HRT. This was several years ago though. Maybe it's safer but, it scares me and being like this right now scares me. Even though I know many have eventually gotten through it. The waiting is the worst and my anxiety is something I feel like I should be strong enough to power through. That's hurting me right now too. Like us all I was very sharp before this happened. I feel disabled with this. I just keep telling myself that it happens to all and it's just my time right now. I just need to really calm down and continue to just focus on that. Thanks for taking the time to reply. It really helps. I was heading in a negative direction the past couple days. xo

• Posted

I'm so sorry you lost your mom. I cannot take HRT because I have migraine aura. I have awful anxiety too. The auras terrify me and after being symptom free for over a year, I relapsed and now have daily anxiety/panic attacks. I had severe anxiety in my 20's and was able to overcome it. The most important thing to remember is there is no way around anxiety, only through it. Every time you give in, you let anxiety take another piece of your life. You have to let the anxiety come. You have to let the fear wash over you. You have to lean into it. It is the only was to win. Put yourself in situation that cause anxiety. Do it over and over and over until the anxiety no longer in control. You have the power within you to beat anxiety. It is tough as hell, but doable, xo

• Posted

Thank you so very much. I'm trying to stare down this beast each day. I know I have to keep pushing forward. It is just exhausting and depressing as hell that the only thing that seems to help is time and rest but, geez how long is this going to take. My progress has come months at a time and it's slow shifts. Gosh, in my life I've never been one scared to leave my house but, maybe due to the stress of constantly running around for so many past years. That made this worse. If I would have known about this stage sooner. I could have prepared for it. I would have slowed down. This is tough as hell. I appreciate your caring advice. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.