HSP in "Eight year old female"

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter was recently diagnosed with HSP. It was quite a trial seeing her suffer through the various stages and symptoms. She has always been a healthy child until recent past two months whereby she came home from school with every ailment out there. It resulted in many absences at school.

The last bout came about three weeks ago with an Upper respiratory infection. My husband and I took her to her Pediatrician once again, they drew blood, urine, swabbed for Strep and everything came back negative.The Doctor prescribed- Augmentin a 14 day aggressive course in an attempt to wipe this illness. Approximately 1 1/2  weeks later she complained of severe leg cramps that progressed throughout the week leaving her incapable of walking without support. We treated it as if it was "growing pains" and fatigue or weakness. Giving her massages and Ibubrofen/ Acetaminophen and rest. Within a few days she improved only to face the weird Rash that started like a a pinpoint rash and progressed to a Maculopapular rash, red then purple in appearance on her lower extremities, bottom, and elbows. We took her to the Doctor again who diagnosed her with HSP. We were fortunate that she was experienced and was able to make an accurate diagnosis. The stomach cramps, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea took place. More bloodwork, urine, xrays were performed. This lasted a few days and then she woke up one day with Swelling in her eyes. This is an ordeal I do not wish anyone has to experience. My husband is a Physician and I am a Nurse so we are familiar with the protocols and preventative measures to try to curb some of the symptoms.

It is crucial to keep your child hydrated and to give a gentle diet for the stomache, broths not too warm, clear juices non acidic foods and drinks, jello, crackers or the BRAT diet work well in alleviating some of the abdominal cramps. We gave tylenol for cramping. You have to do your research. Some Doctors may tell you to give vitamins. It is better to give healthy vitamin rich food rather than the pills which may place burden on their kidneys that are already at risk.

Beware of the serious side effects of Steroids, which many Doctors want to prescribe.

My prayers are with all of you suffering from this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What's the BEST diet? As I am a 32 year old that lost my kidneys with this disease, my symptoms won't let up as I have been pretty sick the last 2 years

• Posted

I am so sorry I just noticed that you had asked a question. Usually it appears in my inbox, however I missed it somehow. I am sorry that your kidneys were so badly affected. When you stated you lost your kidneys, do you mean the full function?
  • Posted

How are things now? We were diagnosed this past week. Any information would be helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.