HSV 1 & 2 Results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

HSV 1 & 2 IgG by ELISA = Result: Positive, Reference Range: Negative

HSV 1 & 2 IgM By ELISA = BORDERLINE (INDEX=1.02 R, CUT OFF INDEX <0.8:NEGATIVE, >1.1:POSITIVE)      Reference Range: Negative

No units available on the result sheet

Thats all the info on the result sheet. They did not mention i was positive for HSV 1 or 2

And what is reference range? Can anyone decipher this for me?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The reference range is basically what a normal/negative result is and anything outside of it is abnormal/positives. The igm test is also unreliable so I wouldn’t even worry about that too much. I’m assuming that the “borderline” they speak of, is prob an equivocal result which means it’s inconclusive and you have to be tested again. Best of luck to you 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply

I contacted the test centre who sent my sample to the lab for testing, to ask for detailed info. But they took so long to reply.

Because IGG 1&2 are positive but ref.  range is negative, and they did not state which hsv i have contracted. Secondly, the negative ref range made the whole result contradicting.

• Posted

Hmm I think you should maybe get a test elsewhere, one that gives you an actual number value and is type specific 
    • Posted

Initially i thought they will give a more detailed result.

This hsv test is actually more expensive a few times than the standard STD test. I had some symptoms for the pass 2+ months so I went for the full STD test.

If thats the case does it refer that my standard STDs tests results are also inaccurate?(all of them are negative)

Before the tests, I told the doctor that I wanted to do a full STD test. He told me there isnt any need to go for HSV test as its very common and almost everyone have HSV.

The test centre that I was tested is the RED CROSS AIDS RESEARCH CENTRE. I did some research online and the feedbacks are not bad. I didnt know that they will give such inaccurate results.

• Posted

The other tests are most likely accurate, herpes testing a little trickier than other STDs. If you do a blood test (which u did) enough time would have to have passed from the time of exposure (approximately 3 months) and you would have to have the appropriate test (type specific igg) the igm test is not recommended or reliable but the igg is. You need a test that will tell you what type you have and the number value. The results they gave you were pretty vague 
  • Posted

Mgirl is right. By reference range, they just mean that's how an uninfected person, would show on the report. But you're not. However, that's not very helpful without a breakdown by type or any values.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.