Hsv-1 Confusion...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got Donald Trump and herpes on the same day. True story. After my first outbreak I got tested many times over the next 6 months. All tests negative but one, which was positive for hsv-1, so I figured at that point it was safe to say I had genital hsv-1.

I did not experience another outbreak for two years, and this second outbreak was incredibly mild. a sore lymph node for a couple days and a few tiny, tiny painless spots that healed in a few days.

Is my immune system kicking the virus's ass? Is there a chance this will be my last outbreak? Do I disclose this to partners?

Hsv-1 is kind of like having an un-std. I feel like i have herpes but I also don't. Any perspective would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I know how you feel but I have certainly not had this for as long as you. I think over time, the virus sheds less and therefor the rates of transmission decrease. Especially with GHSV1, I think after a bit it only becomes nil.

I suggest disclosing to partners you carry the HSV1 virus so they can do their homework and know the risks in terms of transmission if it were oral/genital. At the end of the day, GHSV1 is a lot less contagious/sheds less/reccurent than OHSV1 and GHSV2 too so Im not sure how important it is to disclose location.

• Posted

There is no way of knowing if you will have an outbreak again, you may or you may not.

Yes, you should disclose the information to any future partners as said above so that they can do their homework.

• Posted

You know whats kind of messed up? My doctor told me I didn't need to disclose. He said everyone has hsv-1 and its incredibly hard to pass on genital to genital.

Didn't quite sit right with me either.

• Posted

A lot of medical professionals abide by that. There seems to be a lot of ambiguous info/blurred lines with HSV1 and particularly GHSV1. For myself personally, I dont know if I will disclose the location of my one and so far only OB because sadly, people are ignorant. So ya, always say "I have HSV1, here are the facts if I were to have it orally or genitally in terms of it transmitting to you. Tell me how you feel".

• Posted

In a way, he is correct. Majority of the population has been exposed to HSV-1 at some stage in their life, commonly as infants. I believe though if you have HSV-2, you should definitely disclose. But HSV-1 is tricky.

• Posted

Yeah I'm in the same boat, okay not as long as you, but the doctor told me the exact same thing about it being so common and you don't need to disclose. But at this stage, I'm thinking I'm going to disclose that I have HSV1 but not the location. It's definitely a tricky one.

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. Still coming to terms with it. Also checking my penis daily for any signs. My first outbreak only had one ulcer-like sore which has since cleared up, but the aches and tingling have hung around a bit longer. I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I'm still experiencing symptoms of my first outbreak of if I'm making myself believe I'm feeling them. Kinda doing my head in.

So it's comforting to know others are in the same mindset. I just hope my immune system is like yours and is kicking this things ass.

Anyway I've shared this link before but here it is again. It's a great trustworthy site to gain perspective - https://www.herpes.org.nz/ hope it helps a bit.

• Posted

Its hard to swallow that I have to disclose a virus that affects me every two years... if that, but I definitely understand and wouldn't want to pass it on to anyone. The thing that p*sses me off is that people with oral hsv-1 are more often ignorant than not. They get cold sores! Its not herpes! And why would they need to disclose that!?!? I'm pretty sure I know who gave me the virus. A day or so after performing oral on me I noticed something on her lip and... "OH, ITS JUST A COLD SORE, hehe!"

Meanwhile I still get to hear her drop jokes about people having herpes, and inside im fuming.

Breaking the taboo involves people with oral hsv-1 realizing that THEY HAVE HERPES, not just innocent little cold sores... and that oral hsv-1 is much more contagious than ghsv-1.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.