Huge anxiety speaking to GP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all, 

I am going to my GP surgery next week to speak to a Dr. about my depression and anxiety but, I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get through it without running straight out of the door as soon as I'm called in. My anxiety is massively heightened around health professionals, I tremble all over very noticably, even my voice cracks and shakes, I get cold sweats and usually vomit/feel like I am going to be sick. 

Usually I can keep it under some sort of control but, due to the nature of the visit I am having panic attaks already (and I'm not even there yet!) I'm really worried that my anxiety will get the better of me and I won't go or won't get my concerns across to my GP properly. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can maybe control/relax myself at all? 

Thanks, 

Fee

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Just keep it in mind what you are there fore and if you dont see your GP you are not going to get better.  Good luck Joyce x

• Posted

Hi Fee. How about you write everything you want to say in a letter/bullet point list? That way, if tnot gets too much.. You can hand over what you have written. I've done this in the past and found it really useful. Hope it goes well
    • Posted

I have thought about this, definitely think it is something that I will have to write up! At least then if I panic I can just hand it over and go from there!
  • Posted

Hi, I get anxiety before I go to doctor appointments.  I suggest you try to think about it is not for long and think about after you come out, treat yourself too something nice, it works for me. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Steph, that's a good idea, will probably help if I have something to look forward to past the appointment smile
  • Posted

Hi fee,

I really feel for you. I was lucky my doctor picked up on my anxiety after a number of consultations about other things.

I feel comfortable with her now, but still struggle to say how I really feel because I get worked up and worried I might cry so I need to stop myself.

It helps if you are familiar with the GP. Just go in and say I need some help with anxiety/depression, they will ask further questions just answer them as honestly as you can and take all the help on offer.

It will be fine when you get in there, it's just anxiety making you think it will be hard. They deal with lots of other people like us I'm sure.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply! The Dr I am going to is probably the one I feel the most comfortable with, she is really nice and I'm sure she'll handle everything really well but, it's just so terrifying! 

You are right though, they see it everyday - hopefully it will all be fine! 

• Posted

You will be fine Hun. I always think the GP's must be stressed too with a job like that lol. They are just normal people too, don't be embarrassed or anything. I totally know it's easier said than done and I'm the same.
    • Posted

Yeah it is definitely far from an easy job! It's true - it will be fine, logically. Just need to get there and get over the initial hurdle! Still have a few days before I go to prepare myself! Thanks! smile
  • Posted

Hi free! Sorry to hear your story. OK first of all go and get your self rescue remedy and also kalms from your health food shop! Have you ever had reflexology? This will help calm you! Lavender oil as well which you can dilute in a carrier oil from health food shop. Do you like swimming? You will be fine and get through this. Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, I didn't think about the calming remedies I will have to look into that! And no, I don't think I have ever heard of reflexology to be honest, it's something I will have to look into! funnily enough I do love swimming - I was actually a competitive swimmer until a few years ago, but can't go at the moment due to scarring on my arms from self injury.

Thank you for your reply! smile

• Posted

I think as has been mentioned your main priority is to seek medical advice so i in the past hace wrote things dowb so i dont forget them eadiest way to make sure everything you want discussed wil be. The gp is there to help plus even if you have a panic or anxiety attack your in the right place for assistance i know this sounds wrong but it works for me. I work myself up before i go but when im there i start to relax, then when its over i always comend myself on a job well done. All will be fine fee youll see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.