Huge improvement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just want to share a good news story 

I'm 17 days post surgery and feeling so much better , I can put my foot on floor properly now without the feeling of my foot is going to explode. Dont even really need crutches. Don't wake up with pain in the morning. Not crying with the frustration of it anymore. Surgeon said I was making great progress.

Just feels nice after two and a half weeks of utter pain and frustration. Going to keep the foot up as much as possible to enable me to go back teaching in two weeks. I have an understating principal who will help me out as much as possible no doubt. 

Hang in there everyone, it was day 16 that I felt I was making true progress. 

Ali

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Fantastic! Not sure what exactly you had done and recovery times seem to differ enormously but just remember not to push yourself too much. You will probably have good days and not so good days. The problem is, when we think we are getting back to normal, we overdo things and can then suffer for it the next day. Gently gently! And don't best yourself up if you can't go back to work as soon as you had hoped.

Good Luck

• Posted

Good to hear. I'm day 10 and while I can sit with my foot level (not above my heart, just on a chair or the pad of my knee scooter) for an hour or so without pain, it quickly starts to feel tight and swollen.  I can hobble around on crutches with my foot down for 10 minutes at a time without serious pain and can go all day without pain relievers but still need to take the occasional muscle relaxer to keep the toes from twitching and the arch of my foot from spasming (Flexeril is my friend). Maybe one in the afternoon and one around midnight. Every day seems to be an improvement. Keep babying the foot and you sound like you might be able to do classroom work if you can keep your foot on a chair whenever you don't need to be upright and mobile. What did your doctor say about weight bearing?
  • Posted

Wow....so great for you.  I'm assuming just one foot.  I know so many people who have done better than I.  May I ask your age? I'm swimming every morning at 9 weeks out, but my foot is still not healed.  I'm 67. Did you have the Ludloff plate, or something else which enabled you to walk right away?  Wonderful news!
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks into my recovery. I'm happy to say my Dr visit went very well. I have to wear the boot for two more weeks, bone needs a little more healing time. Dr was very happy with my progress, he isn't sending me to physical therapy. He got a kick out of me when I told him I'm rehabing my foot from YouTube videos. 

Its been a long haul, but I have to say I'm so glad I did it. My foods looking soooo good, scaring is minimal due to lots of vitamin E. 

I would like some recommendations for shoes! Any suggestions out there?

Speedy recovery to all!

• Posted

Birkenstocks of course, and Wolky is another brand with well designed adjustable sandles. Dansko also does a nice job
    • Posted

lindleyk - Vitamin E oil applied directly to the scar. 

I know it sounds vain, but I was more worried about the scaring, as I live in Texas, where it is hot and we wear a lot of sandles and flip fops. 

Also, lots of Epsom salts for swelling. 

Thanks for the shoe suggestions! 

Happy Healing to All!

• Posted

Hi ali38464

I read your suggesion about your operation.

can your please tell me more information about Halux valgus, which finger, which hospital, how much did it coast, how many days needs to stay in bed?

thanks    

• Posted

Hi there I had a bunion on left foot removed and surgeon said it was a severe bunion. 

Three weeks today was my operation. Today I am walking around on my boot without my crutches and feeling great. No swelling or pain and I'm off all medications. 

Only thing that's annoying me is pins and needles down the left side of the foot at night time. Only happens at night and it's bugging me slightly but I'm sure that will pass too. Anyone else experience this?

Cannot believe the improvement in the last week, it's incredible. The operation was covered by medical insurance (private patient). 

Returning to work in a week in a half and not too worried. 

• Posted

Sorry the pins and needles are on the right side of the foot where the bunion was. 

There are so many horror stories re bunionectomies but it's not that bad.

• Posted

By the way I'm 30 years old!!! 
  • Posted

Did your doctor tell you to bend the big toe to break up scar tissue at 2 weeks?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.