Hummus SSRI effect & the Tryptophan rich diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

From Health Journal Article:

Chickpeas and tahini, the major ingredients of hummus, contain essential amino acids which has a very similar effect to that of anti-depressants. Don’t be surprised if one day in the near future your doctor will prescribe you some hummus.

In a recent post I addressed the fascinating issue of hummus’s anti-depression and anti-anxiety potential. To be exact, hummus has some nutrients that affect mood in certain dosages. This is somewhat similar to how an SSRI drug works.

SSRIs prolongs the presence of free serotonin in the brain. The postponed absorption of serotonin (a crucial neurotransmitter) into the brain cells, would usually result in diminished symptoms of depression, stress, anxiety and compulsive behavior, thus make one “happier”.

This is the idea behind that genre of medicines, which usually take affect after 3-6 weeks of use. There are also SNRI (or SSNRI) drugs, which usually work faster because they also work on the noradrenaline, a neurotransmitter which functions as a complementary to serotonin.

A different kind of medicine, which allegedly affects the same system, is the 5 HTP (or 5-Hydroxytryptophan). This drug is supposed to increase the production of serotonin, especially when administered with B6 which functions as a catalyser. It is said the effect of 5 HTP is almost immediate.

Theoretically, one can also influence these metabolic processes through a Tryptophan rich diet or with a diet that will also include other amino acid which are known as building blocks of serotonin and noradrenaline, mainly the Phenylalanine and Tyrosine. And this threesome is present in hummus and tahini.

Hummus and tahini also contain B6 and Omega 3, which was also found to have a strong positive effect over most mood disorders, most people claim to have a better mood after eating hummus.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This is very interesting...I eat a lot of hummus and love to make vegetable dishes and salads with tahini. Could you link me this article? I have been on zoloft for 4 years now.....and I am currently on a very high dose of it (200mg). I experience great lows and anxiety/ panic attacks and this is the only drug that has worked for me....(I've tried plenty others.) But today, on my lunch break I saw the inactive ingredient list when picking up my refill at the pharmacy......to say the least I was shocked...I didn't know so many unnecessary chemicals were put into these drugs. I don't want to go off of it completely but I want to see if I can taper with the help of my doctor and a proactive diet/ supplementation plan.....but I am very afraid....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.