Hunger as a discontinuation side effect going from sertraline to wellbutrin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was on sertraline for years, starting at 50mg and slowly moving up to 200mg. With each increase, I gained about 10 pounds, so finally my doctor suggested that I switch to wellbutrin. Over the past couple of weeks I have tapered down the sertraline, taking my last dose three days ago. Over the past several weeks, I have added in 150 mg of wellbutrin.

I have experienced the brain fogginess and zaps over the past couple of days, but it's only since going completely off. While I was tapering, I was fine...minus extreme itchiness. 

My appetite is not consistent. Some days I am pretty full and other days I am ravenous. I don't have cravings for unhealthy food, but I can't get enough food on those days. And sometimes I'm full until after lunch, and then famished in the afternoon. It comes and goes and there is no consistency. I've read a lot from people who said that they lost their appetite when coming off of sertaline, but has anyone had the reverse happen? If so, how long did that last? Weight gain has been my greatest stress throughout all of this and I can handle the rest of the side effects (at least now), but the hunger is driving me crazy. Any advice for me? Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The most important factor in the equation is dosage, when you take a higher dose, you are essentially giving Zoloft more control over your nervous system than natural homeostatic functioning.

The average amount of weight gain is approximately 10-15 lbs. Diet and Exercise are the most difficult way to lose weight, but it is the most effective, two antidepressants with the lowest weight gain as a side effect: Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex), an SSRI and Duloxetine (Cymbalta), another SSRI.

Also this will help to know, (Hunger) is the need to eat. If you're hungry, you need food because your body is telling you so. (Appetite) is the desire to eat. Appetite occurs as a coordinated effort between your brain and your belly. When you feast your eyes on a delicious, delectable food, your mouth may water, and you can practically taste it and feel the textures on your palate.

Recommendation:

Set your sights on satiety...just as your body sends signals when it is hungry, it also sends signals that it is full.

Eat filling foods...Empty calories can add pounds to the frame but leave you hungry for more. Opt for nutrient-dense foods that fill you up. High-fiber fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

you should speak to your doctor if you experience an unexplained and persistent increase in appetite. This could be caused by particular medications.

• Posted

Thanks for that perspective. My husband has been telling me to eat more because my stomach is constantly rumbling. And it is hunger versus appetite. I'm actually looking at an apple pie my in-laws brought over and I have zero interest in it (and I love apple pie).

I've tried to add some more fats to my day (almonds, nut butters, olive oil, etc.) and hopefully that will help. My big indulgence is some popcorn a few days a week. I've also started working out more now that I have increased energy, which I'm sure is adding to the hunger as well. I'm sure I just need to let things balance out...I'm just impatient sometimes.

• Posted

Olive oil is a great healthy choice, I have been using olive oil about everyday now for the last 4-month, here's what I gathered from medical reports/studies etc...

Olive oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Fights mood disorders and depression. Healthy fats, have hormone-balancing, anti-inflammatory effects that can prevent neurotransmitter dysfunction, stronger bones, cancer prevention, higher brain function, and other medical miracles.

New Studies continue to show benefits of olive oil for both physical and mental health. ... Omega-3 fatty acids, known to have an anti-inflammatory effect have a healthful impact on the nervous system, improve the symptoms of depression, Anxiety in multiple areas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.