hurting during intercourse

Posted , 5 users are following.

I turned 56 this July and I  have not had a period in 2 yrs. I heard that this pain sometimes happens to alot of women. Is there anything I can do to  not have the pain? I heard estrogen pills or treatments can help BUT I DON"T like the side effects they claim to have is there a safer alternative? I have also heard that lubercation will help ( short term)  I don't believe that dryness is the problem. Any suggestions?? Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rita

This does sound hormonal especialy cosidering your previous posting as well

I would definately see your GP and get checked out 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm in the US and use only integrative MD's.....and when I started with IM's about 15 yrs ago my DHEA levels were first to be check.....google DHEA...

I took the synthetic hormone stuff and it was awful so got off it.

I understand in Canada DHEA is a prescription, US it's otc....UK, I'm guessing a script if docs even test.....   There are books on DHEA therapy.   

There is info that DHEA levels drop starting at 20 and some info says 30, but regardless the levels drop..... I've been on DHEA for over 10 yrs and even thou I'm not interested in another mate, I know there is libido there....Joy 76 US

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Firstly you need to see your GP for an examination to rule out the rarer, but more serious causes of painful sex. Post- menopausally the lack of oestrogen causes the vagina to become dryer and less elastic. Vaginal gels and vaginal tablets can help. Some are hormonal, some aren't - but even with the hormonal ones very little is absorbed into your system. I'm assuming you're up to date with your smears? A discussion with your GP is the answer
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My wife has a similar problem. The hormone therapy helps her generally but has not really got us back in action. Now I too have hormon therapy so we are well matched for warm cuddles. Still, we can remember the old days.

Neither of us are happy with the risks but at 73 and 72 still value the quality of life as it now is.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI Rita,

I am the same age as you and have experienced painful intercourse after the menopause.  The best solution for me was pjur med premium glide, a silicone lubricant. I have tried others, but this is the best and I now have no pain.  

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up