Husband has full thickness meniscal tear need advice please,

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband had a fall at work 2 weeks ago, and he has just been diagnosed with a full thickness meniscal tear, . My question is can anyone tell me how long to recover from this surgery which I'm assuming will be arthroscopic,  as we are due to fly out to Vietnam 5 weeks today for my sons wedding.my concerns are should he wait until we come back as I doubt we will get it done  within the next 2 weeks thus leaving a 3 week recovery, plus I doubt we would get insurance to cover this knee. Really don't know what to do. He can walk the dogs a short distance. He is still working as a self employed plumber. Thanks any insight will be great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My thoughts are...I was about 6 wks recouvrey, so I think I would wait and get it done after. 
  • Posted

I doubt you will be able to go if you have it before. Possibly an injection a week before the trip then surgery thereafter. My sister in law had that last fall

They were to leave from the rest coast of the US and fly to Europe for a river cruise. She got by resting when she could and icing every chance. Not sure she had a full tear but is was bad enough she was in pain. She avoided the walking tours and stairs. The other concern....... if you had the surgery, DVT or deep vein thrombosis or blood clots and the docs might not even allow flying. Long flights and poor circulation are a bad mix. A few years back I had a synovectomy and wasn't allowed to fly from mid america to Korea

• Posted

Knee injuries can take some to heal, in the region of 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.

It is possible that he will not be permitted to fly before the time when he is officialy signed-off by his surgeon because of the risk of deep vein thrombosis.

If he takes a chance and travels without being passed as fully fit it, is possible that the consequences could prove extremely dangerous, and to make things worse any insurance you have may be invalidated.

• Posted

Thanks so much, I think since he can still walk the dogs a short distance best not to tempt fate and it's an 8 hour flight so good point on the DVT issue..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.