hydro therapy

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone I am 10 days post operation on a thr I am doing ok but I was wondering if any one had gone down the hydro therapy route .I am missing not been able to have a bath .I would get a lot of release from pain in the warm water .I do have a water proof dressing on and can shower with it .

does any one have any suggestions please

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was told no baths of any kind in beginning even with waterproof bandage. Showering is different.

Are you taking pain meds?

• Posted

I did have hydrotherapy but well after the incision was completely healed. It helped a lot. Showering with a waterproof dressing is one thing, getting into a  warm hydrotherapy pool, for 30 mins or so,  with other people is completely different. To prevent possible cross infection everyone must have an intact skin. 
  • Posted

Although not into hydrotherapy, I have swam since week 6, soon to be at 12.  I would ask your doc due to some movement limitations.  
  • Posted

This is day 5 after a Rt. Total hip.  I was told emphatically no pool, hot tub,no soaking baths for 2 months.  I could shower as of yesterday tho.  I have a waterproof bandage in the incision and just a bandaid on the drain hole. Check with your doctor, but Im betting there will be restrictions for you to keep the incision dry, 
  • Posted

One odd discovery I made is that if the doctor practices a sport, they recommend it.  My neurosurgeons here for my spinal stenosis and they kicked me off a road bicycle due to the vibration.  I begged and gravel led for permission to ride only in town and got it.  Funny but later I saw another neurosurgeon who wondered why I was no longer on a road bike.  As it turns out, he was an avid cyclist.
  • Posted

Hey Kay, just a few more days left until the doc ok's baths. Best not to risk infection or getting up out of the tub. 

Water therapy is is wonderful I went 6 weeks after surgery. A nice shower with a chair in the tub will do for now! 

You ou are doing great so happy your getting the the tough part with dying colors.

• Posted

OH YIKES spell ck ...last sentence should be, So glad your getting thru the tough part with flying colors. 
    • Posted

Understood.  I live in Spain and am now bilingual, using a Spanish keyboard on my IPad.  Sometimes when writing in English, I forget what keyboard I have on.  What a mess.
  • Posted

thanks everyone for your great comments they have been very helpfull😁

• Posted

I had to wait till staples were out and wound was healed then into the pool I went for hip physio.
  • Posted

Hydro therapy the best, still going to the pool 2 years later, give me a lot of relief from my systemic arthirits, but a life saver before and after my hip replacements.

?I got back in the pool at about 23 days post surgery, but only with Dr's permission, I still remember asking him at about 14 days post surgery, he inspected my cut very carefully, and said there is still an area that has not healed completely, and simple answer NO, come back in a week, you do not want to risk an infection.

?When he finally gave me the go ahead, I went straight from the Dr's surgery to the heated indoor pool.  Wonderful, I tread water and do my post surgery exercises, stepping sideways, walking straight ahead against the weight of the water, stretching using the rails on the side of the pool, started with about 20 mins, and can now do over and hour each session.

• Posted

I know a woman here that has been able to defray getting a hip surgery for seven years by hydrotherapy
  • Posted

I had 2 sessions in the hydrotherapy pool in hospital after my THR. I recall that these were on the 3rd and 4th day after my op. Incision kept dry with waterproof dressing which worked fine. It was useful because it showed me how freely I could move my new hip. But I was told by the physios that the real work was done out of the pool. You need gravity to get the muscles really working again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.