Hydroxychloroquine Vs Pedinzone

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have been on Predinzone for many years.  It have many bad side effects that you probable would not know if never tested for them.

I took 5 mg for years but could never get below 5 mg without PMR coming Back.

about 3 months ago, my new doctor asked me why I was takiing Perdnizone, and i said because I have PMR. The Doctor put me on HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE 200 Mg twice a day. After 30 days start reducing pednizone 1 mg every two weeks until down to zero.

I did this and this is the first time my PMR has not returned. It has been over two months since I have taken prednizone and PMR still hasn't returned. First time that has happened in over 10yrs.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, my new doctor this program 6 months ago, not 3 months as i stated before 
  • Posted

There is no study evidence that hydroxychloroquine does much for PMR but there are two or three possibilities - coincidence that the PMR went into remission at about the same time, that it wasn't just PMR that you had, or that the addition of hydroxychlorquine reduced steroid withdrawal pains as you tried relatively large steps down towards the end. Hydroxychloroquine is one of the first drugs to be tried for RA and it is not uncommon for the early stages of LORA (late onset RA) to appear identical to PMR. Often the return of pain at lower doses is more due to persuading the body it CAN manage without pred after all but it is next to impossible to distinguish from PMR.

However - whatever - pleased you have managed to get off pred at last. Long may it last!!

• Posted

I had a go around with HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE 200, and it had no positive effect on my PMR, or it's evil sister RS3PE. I did have very significant side effect of photosensitivity, where I had to wear sunglasses inside the house. I tried it for 60 days. the photosensitivity took 3-4 weeks to resolve after I stopped, about the time it took for the quinine to purge from my system.

I concur with all Eileen said, but congratulations that you are much better. 

Best of luck.

Hi to all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.