Hyper and now hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, i was on 60mg Caribimazol per day for about 7 weeks when i found out my T4 result was at 97.  Then changed to 20mg per day for about 2 weeks when I found out my T4 was 7.  Now my TSH is 9.5 and T4 is 8 showing mild thyroid underactivity (hypo).  I feel like there is no definite answer from current medical practice.  It  just try, see error and apply fixes.   

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi JakeDDD,

Your initial T4 was very high. Your doctor's main concern was to lower it as quickly as possible to avoid complications (like a thyroid storm).

Hyperthyroidism can be caused by many factors like a recent viral infection, nodules, or an auto-immune disease and it is sometimes difficult to make an immediate diagnosis. 

Have you been referred to an endocrinologist? Do you know your thyroid anti-body levels? 

The good thing is that you have responded very well to Carbimazole. My initial T4 was about 60. My TSH value stayed below 0.03 for almost half a year. I eventually got diagnosed with Grave's disease. Have been taking Carbimazole for almost a year and gradually my dose was reduced to 5mg.

It make me smile but in my case the treatment plan is exactly as you described. Have a blood test. Adjust medication. Repeat after a few weeks or months.  

All in the hope that the thyroid levels will stabilise and no medication is needed anymore. 

My advise would be to ask your GP for a printout of every blood-test done and file it. Should you have to take Carbimazole for a long time it will help you find out your optimal thyroid levels.  

• Posted

Thanks danR, i have "-" on my Thyroid Peroxidase A in my blood test result.  I need to check with my endocrinologist to find out what it means.    i felt like a balloon when taking too much Cabimazole.  My face turned into  a big round ball.   I will do one more blood test in 2 weeks and follow up with an endocrinologist.  Thanks 
    • Posted

On my initial blood test I had: 

Thyroid Peroxiase Antibody Level: 58.1 iu/ml (<60) 

TSH Receptor Antibody Level: 5.4u/L (<0.9)

TSH receptor antibodies are usually a mixture of blocking, neutral, or stimulating ones. Stimulating antibodies mimic TSH and are typically found in higher concentration in hyperthyroid patients.

Thyroid Peroxidase antibody levels are usually raised in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (but can be present in patients with Grave's disease).  

I wish I had know these details when I first talked to my endocrinologist. Hope you find it helpful. 

• Posted

I've been on 20mg for 2 weeks and while I felt a lot better initially, I'm now going up and down, from hyper to hypo.....my GP says my thyroid will fail.

im not getting many answers yet so I do sympathise.

do as I'm going to do....ask for tests, printouts, prognosis and more information ..I'm seeing an endocrinologist in 2 days....

good luck x

• Posted

I started VERY Hyper- hospitalized for thyroid storm. Started on High Dose of Methimazole, gradually have been tapered down to 5mg, suddenly went a little hypo, which i guess happens apparently, so dealing with symptoms of that now. I am either anxious and jittery, or slow and sleepy. I get blood work every 2 weeks, and agree print it all out, even create a spread sheet if you have to so you can see trends and see what is best for you, often you will now before your doctor, or intutively feel what the best dose for you is. All seems very reactive, in terms of trial and error, but i suppose every patient is different, I am just happy to be in a closer to normal range, even if I am a little up and down. Trying to start a family amoungst all this is also very stressfull. My other advice is ask for liver functioning test, if they haven't included that in your blood work.

Good luck!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up