Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello

Am new here and I need some advice. I was diagnosed of Hyperthyroid in April and my results were t4- 45, t3- 23, tsh- 0.0005 my Dr give me Carbimazole 20mg and Propranolol 40mg after 6 weeks i did another test and my t4-11, t3- 6- tsh- still 0.0005.

Do I still need really to keep taking the Propranolol?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have heart symptoms, you need to keep taking it.  I responded to another post of yours before.  My heart symptoms were intermittent and stress-related so I took it as needed, but you need to keep in touch with your body and if heart symptoms, definitely take it, especially when your TSH is at such a low value.
  • Posted

With this disease, the last thing you want to have happen is thyroid storm which can be life-threatening.
  • Posted

Charles, what dose of Propranolol are you on?
    • Posted

Initially it was 2x 40mg morning and Night but I have reduced it gradually am now on 20mg Morning and Night
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Hi

Please can you help read these results and explain the possible reasons of the increase. I was on 20mg Carbimozole and 40mg Propranolol twice a day. I reduced my dosage to 10mg Carbimozole and 20mg×2 Propranolol after the second result. I started having some little palpitations and I said let me do another test to check and this is the result of 30-06-17.

12-04-17..........Range

T4- 44 ...............7.2 - 16.4pmol/L

T3- 28................3.7- 6.0

Tsh-0.005..........0.380- 5.330 miu/L

01-06-17

T4- 10.7

T3- 6.7

Tsh- 0.005

30-06-17

T4- 22

T3- 11

Tsh-0.005

Please you advice will be highly appreciated

• Posted

I agree with Leigh.  For myself, I found I could not drop my Methimazole dosage by too much at a time and my Endo was very good about adjusting itownward slowly.  The one time my first Endocrinologist cut my dosage in half, I had a rebound effect two weeks later much like you are having now.  I also found my results were more stable and I felt better when I added supplements to my treatment like Regular L-Carnitine, Vitamin D gel caps and Magnesium to start with.  I then added Acetyl-L-Carnitine and had to be very careful not to go hypo with this because Graves disease patients especially are very sensitive to this supplement and need to make frequent adjustments in it to stay in the normal range.

Also, while you are experiencing these kinds of results, I would not do fast exercise like running.

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Am already taking Vitamin Redoxan it contains Vitamin D. I will get L-Carnitine and take it.

Do you think I should increase my dose back to 20mg Carbimozole and 40mg twice Propranolol?

• Posted

Dear Linda

Am on Propranolol 40mg twice a day. Is it ok to take Acetyl-L-Carnitine? I started 500mg today?

• Posted

So on a dose of Carbimazole of 20 mg your T4 and T3 fell into the normal range.  I would not adjust or decrease Carbimazole while your TSH remains at essentially 0.005.  Mine stayed at less than 0.001 for two years but my 10 mg dose of methimazole kept my T3 and T4 within range at that dosage.  I did not adjust that med until my TSH started to rise even a little bit and then the adjustments were small and slow, i.e. no more than 2.5 mg at a time.  With using the Acetyl, you have to be extremely careful, monitor your body symptoms and more frequent testing.  500 mg is fine to start with but get checked often and if your TSH is rising too much or too fast, then stop taking the Acetyl or take it every other day.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda.

Just woke up this morning and sleep was very bad just after one day of taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I think it has to do with Mirtazapine I have been taking for 6 years now for anxiety and sleep. Mirtazapine also has to do with the brain. I remember I took Taurine and I had this same problem. What do you advice on ALC?

• Posted

While ALC probably was the most beneficial supplement I took as far as raising my TSH, it was not without side effects for me as well.  Regular L-Carnitine would be better to start with.  It did not have the side effects of Acetyl and it did begin to raise my TSH a little.  It will restore the Carnitine that was lost from your muscles.  I did not have a side effect from the Regular L-Carnitine.  I got it by prescription as a liquid so it was not cumbersome to take but it is expensive when taken as a medical prescription from your doctor (I think it cost something like $300 a month which is okay if you have extended health care in the form of drug coverage) but a lot to pay from your pocket.  I started by taking 3,000 mg of the Regular L-Carnitine because I came across a Research Article published by an Endocrinologist research team from Italy who stated the benefits of this treatment.  This was the first time my TSH rose from essentially 0 when I took the Regular L-Carnitine.  With the Acetyl, it crosses the blood-brain barrier and when taken along with other drugs, will get those drugs across the blood-brain barrier too.  You might want to try Lemon Balm, a very calming supplement.  You shouldn't have the same problem with your meds as you are having with the Acetyl if you take the Regular Carnitine but it is always a good idea to check with your pharmacist about any meds you are on and how they interact with whatever else you want to take.

• Posted

Hello Linda

Have been having problem with sleeping. Actually I fall asleep but wake up after I think 4hours or so and I couldn't sleep anymore and having Palpitations....i don't know if Propranolol might be the cause

• Posted

Hello Linda

Am still having my not too good sleep. I wake up very early and wonder must times if I actually slept. I read is because Propranolol cross across the brain. Do you know of people taking Atenolol with Carbimozole? Am thinking if to suggest to my doctor to switch to Atenolol

• Posted

Sorry I don't know much about them.  I was prescribed Propranolol but rarely used it once I started on Methimazole.  If I am under stress and have increased heart rates, I will occasionally take 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet but haven't noted any ill effects from it when I do take it.  Perhaps those who were given Atenolol could comment about that.

• Posted

Hello Linda

Hello Dan

My result I did last week-

25-07-17..........Range

T4- 15.3 ...............7.2 - 16.4pmol/L

T3- 6.9................3.7- 6.0

Tsh-0.005..........still the same compared to my last 4 results since April.

Please is it possible to still have Palpitations with these ranges?

• Posted

Hi Linda

My last results, Ranges

T4- 16.6.........................12 to 22

T3- 6.99..........................3.10 to 6.88

Tsh- 0.00500..................0.290 to 4

I saw an endocrinologist 3 weeks ago who told me to start L'thyroxine 75 MCG. Any advice if should already start with these range of my test and what to expect with L'thyroxine

• Posted

You are hyperthyroid.  Some practitioners especially in the UK prescribe both thyroid blocking and thyroid stimulating drugs at the same time (I think this is called the Block and Replace method) to stop the excessive thyroid hormone.  Perhaps those on this Board who have had that treatment could better comment about it.  I think you need to do a lot of research on your condition and make choices from what you learn, how your body feels as well as any input from this Board that makes sense to you.  If I had the palpitation and sleep problems you have, I would be hesitant to use the Block and Replace method, however, your doc should know your complete history and all prescribed drugs you are taking as well as any supplements and perhaps you could discuss your concerns with him.  I would get your Total and Free Carnitine levels checked, your vitamin D level checked and your magnesium level checked and if deficient start supplementing these.  All of your physicians should at least know all of the prescribed drugs you are taking and I would also check with your pharmacist about the interactions of the various drugs you are taking. When it comes to adjusting your prescribed meds, I would have your doc make that decision.  For me, my doc lowered the dosages slowly so I didn't have a rebound from lowering the dosage.

• Posted

Hi Dan

My new results-

T4- 5.7.........................12 to 22

T3- 4.3..........................3.10 to 6.88

Tsh- 8.843 ..................0.290 to 5

Is like I have gone hypo. I added weight and my cholesterol is very high too. I saw my doctor today and he reduced my Carbimozole 20mg to 5mg. Please any advice?

• Posted

Hi Linda

My new results-

T4- 5.7.........................12 to 22

T3- 4.3..........................3.10 to 6.88

Tsh- 8.843 ..................0.290 to 5

Is like I have gone hypo. I added weight and my cholesterol is very high too. I saw my doctor today and he reduced my Carbimozole 20mg to 5mg. Please any advice?

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up