Hyperthyroidism and chest infection - advice needed please!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear All,

Oh dear here we go again sad Been having regular appointments with my endo and in early November my blood levels were slightly showing I was under active so my carbimazole was reduced from 10mg to 5mg. Then in early December my levels were all within normal limits smile Then over Christmas I started to feel not right and a bit anxious. Just before New Year I started to get a high temperature and sharp chest pain and was told I had a pleural rub and prescribed antibiotics for 7 days. Even after the course of antibiotics I still did not feel quite myself....weak and still anxious but plodded on. Again, last weekend I felt unwell and on Tuesday evening I got a high temp again to 38 and this time my chest felt tight on the right side but just discomfort rather than pain. Went to GP and told it was a virus which I would have for quite a few days. The next day I could not get out of bed for feeling so ill and was then given a prescription for more antibiotics. I still feel so ill and anxious and really, really scared sad and I keep getting this high temp 38.5 every 4 to 8 hrs.

Has anyone else had an infection particularly to do with the lungs and also felt so ill? Do I feel worse because I have also got problems with my thyroid? I am so scared sad

Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time. Easy to say, but try not to worry, you really will be all right. You are being seen by your doctor and thats good because you are being monitored. If there was anything to be alarmed about it would be picked up quickly. Its scary when our temperature goes up and when it all seems to go on and on but it will all settle down soon. Its good that your Carbimazole has been reduced because that will help your immune system, it can take longer to get over infections when you are on anti-thyroid drugs. Your doctor would take a blood test to check your white count I think if there was cause for concern. The thing is to take it easy and get lots of rest and keep warm and you will soon recover. If you would like support from the thyroid angle, you might like to take a look at the Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4 page. There are lots of us on there with overactive thyroids and we all support each other.

Wishing you better soon, let me know how you get on.

Bess.

• Posted

Hi Bess,

Just to let you know that in the early hours of Sunday morning I was rushed to hospital and diagnosed with pneumonia. Was started on second lot of antibiotics and discharged on Tuesday evening. Still feel so ill but I guess it will take a long time to get over this?

So do the carbimazole affect your immune system? I'm so fed up with being ill all the time sad

• Posted

Hello, sorry I didnt reply before, I've just found your message. How horrible for you to be admitted to hospital. Yes, Carbimazole can affect your immune system and hopefully your GP is doing blood tests to keep an eye on it. I would imagine they took bloods at the hospital ? That would have shown the state of your immune system so at least they know what the situation is. If you dont feel better soon, make a pest of yourself and go and see your GP and let him/her know how you feel, dont suffer in sillence ! I would think its the combination of the thyroid problem and the pneumonia after effects thats making you feel so bad. I hope you dont have to go to work at the moment. The thyroid problem can rob you of energy and the only thing you can do is rest.I found that some days I felt really awful and other days a bit better, it seems a bit of a roller coaster. Hope you feel better soon. Keep in touch.

Bess.

• Posted

Hi Bess, thank you for your reply. I'm feeling a lot better than I did but still a bit weak though. I have had another shock today and I'm getting really fed up with it all. I had some blood tests done on the 25 Jan and I had an appt today about the results and I was told my liver function test came back abnormal....this has really scared me and has made my anxiety and panic worse. The doctor said that it could be because of the thyroid because that can do things to your liver. Do you know if the thyroid can do that or is it the carbimazole 5mg/day that I'm on? Another thing she said it could be was all the antibiotics I've been on throughout January because of all these chest infections.

I now feel that I want to come off the carbimazole and have RAI to destroy the thyroid. I'm so fed up and scared of it all. I've not been coping very well since being told I have an overactive thyroid last year sad

• Posted

Hello, what a horrible time you are having. Absolutely do not worry about your liver result ! All sorts of medications, including anti thyroid meds can affect your liver results. These usually just return to normal either when you have finished the medication or just naturally over time. It doesnt mean that anything terrible is wrong or that something awful is going happen to you - it wont. When you are on medication your liver enzyme results can come back raised but they are just as likely to come back normal next time. I think this thyroid illness is horrible, it made me very anxious and never knowing what would happen next but believe me, one day it will be over and your life will be back to normal. The treatment, whichever you choose, is very effective. You are on the same dose of Carbimazole that I was, which seems to show that your condition is well under control. Please dont stop your Carbimazole without talking about it with your doctor and dont be in a rush to change anything. Just wait and see how you go, its a long job but you will get there in the end. I feel for you, no-one who has never been through this can understand how awful it is. Keep your chin up, you really will be ok.

Bess . Ps. Are you on Propanolol ? It can help with the thyroid anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.