Hyperthyroidism and depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism now I'm super depressed and feel helpless anyone else understand please

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tell us about your symptoms, that makes it easier to give helpful advice.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply 

I've been placed on beta blockers and antithyriod medicines but I have lost my appetite and have insomnia also depression. I'm extremely stressed and isolated from my family. It's really taking a toll. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

• Posted

I'm sorry you feel depressed and helpless with your new diagnosis.  I'm sure all of us here can relate to when we first found out our diagnosis.  Even though most of here have hypothyroidism, we still understand.  Just try to remember that this is not the end of the world and that hyperthyroidism is very treatable.  I can't offer much advise on how long it will be, before treatment will ease your side effects, if you have any, but there are many knowledgeable people in this group that do suffer from hyperthyroidism, that I'm sure will be around soon to offer some advise.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you for your caring response. When initially diagnosed what emotions do you feel. I know that hyperthyroidism causes weight loss but on top of my loss of appetite it's even more. This has really consumed me. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know that there are many others dealing with far worst. And my heart and prayers go out to them. But I'm trying to break out of this rut it's not easy. I don't know if the anxiety loss of appetite or stress are symptoms or side effects of the meds. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

• Posted

I had a lot of emotions when I was first diagnosed hypothyroidism, caused by Hashimoto's.  I was scared and depressed that I was just going to be sick for the rest of my life. Especially after reading all the untrue information on the internet.  A lot of websites will tell you anything just to get people to buy what they are selling.  But.. it worked out fine.  I take my pill everyday and feel good... normal again.  It took quite some time for the medication to work and for my body to get used it though, but it did work.  But again, I'm just not sure how hyperthyroidism works as I never researched it .  Do you know the cause of your hyperthyroidism?  Is it caused by autoimmune or something else.  Perhaps you can start there and ask your doctor to check you for antibodies that cause hyperthyroidism..  If it's caused by autoimmune disease, then it will be lifelong.  I believe there are other causes that are more short term, so it's just good to know.

• Posted

Thank you Melissa. Yes I went to the doctor and she said it may be cause by Graves' disease. I had a lot of blood work done yesterday. So I have to wait for those results before a permanent cause. This is so helpful speaking with others that are going through what you are or similar. My bf is overwhelmed with my continuous talk about it. Or the info I find online. So I'm really appreciative of you and others that take the time to respond. Might I ask how long after the start of the meds did you start to feel "normal"? I find I've lost a lot of weight stressing as well as the hyperthyroidism cause weight loss. Thank you. 

• Posted

Well, it's a pretty slow process.  It took me over a year of dose raises and blood work to get to my optimal TSH level.  After I was on my correct dose, it took about another 4 to 5 months for my body to become adjusted and actually felt normal again.  I know this sounds discouraging, but remember that everyone is different and a lot of people find their optimal dose a lot quicker then I did.  If I went to an endocrinologist sooner, it would have saved me a lot of time. 

• Posted

Ok. That does sound encouraging thank you. I hope you continue on with great health you have been a great help. Thanks again 
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed April this year my TSH was I believe 24 not sure how that compares to others , or if it even makes a difference to the symptoms you would have at say 7 or 8. What I can share however was a very low mood, not so much depressed but almost tearful at times which isn’t like me at all. Getting tired very easily which makes the low mood worse. Health anxiety is also another big issue for me getting worried over every pain and people thinking it’s in my head. 

It it does take time and I still have symptoms such as breathlessness aching muscles etc but I feel much better than when I was initially diagnosed, brain fog has lifted mood in general is better, just try and stay positive things will improve, it won’t be instant but it will get better 

just had my third blood test and awaiting results now , last test saw TSH improve to 8.4 on 75mcg 

for me just understanding im not alone and that I’m not a hypochondriac has helped me through as many people I know assume I’m making symptoms up.

• Posted

Trust me Matt you are not alone. It's been a very challenging time for me. My partner is overwhelmed and doesn't want to continuously hear me talk about it. States that it makes him "stress". I am dealing with depression I have a small child and it's hard because all I want to do is sleep. That's the only time my mind isn't running in overdrive. I don't have anyone to vent to so I bought a couple of journals to "vent". Too bad they don't talk back. I'm trying som naturals juices to help deal with the hyperthyroidism. The medicine just makes me worst. My doctor wanted to place me on antidepressants but I don't think it's safe for the body to be under so many different medications. I'm trying to find my way back it's a tough road but I'm a believer. 

• Posted

I know where you are at, you shouldn’t feel alone going through something like this ! I think it’s hard for our partners to relate if they haven’t ever experienced exactly how horrible this condition is - from the outside we look fine and well. You can always vent here, and know your not alone. See if you can see an endocrinologist if you’re meds dont work for you, I’ve read this is the case for some, and there are alternatives you can try. Stay strong 
    • Posted

One thing that has helped me with the depression/ anxiety is learning about thyroid disease and the various medications that are prescribed. This has enabled me to have informed discussions with my endocrinologist and gives me a sense that I am an active partner in my treatments. I am also able to view my blood test results online and have learned what they mean. If you have not done that, you should. It's not actually very complicated. There is lots of information on the Web.

So, again, getting informed helps me feel that I am not a helpless subject here, which helps with the depression, gives me a sense of hope, and is a smart thing to do anyway. Go for it!

• Posted

Thanks you're right. I'm  very thankful to have a community full of people that are going through a very similar situation. Today I told my partner that he would not be able to understand what I'm going through because he is not physically going through the same thing. I have an appointment with The endocrinologist to follow up after my ultrasound. I prayed their findings are OK.

• Posted

Thanks Dave for your words of wisdom and your response.  Yes I'm educating myself on the thyroid issue and how I can better myself I also went on the website for  for hyperthyroidism to educate myself on what other natural things I can do to treat or stabilize this disease. The medication methaizole makes me feel so sick makes my depression and anxiety worst n I have no energy to do anything but barely sleep. I definitely can't function like that. 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story. Very encouraging that one day 🤞 I will feel better. You said your hypo came out of nowhere what exactly does that mean. Because I feel mines did as well although I'm suffering from hyperthyroidism I was loosing weight before it became too much and I had to go to ER and was diagnosed. I never really use to eat much hectic schedule and I was steadily dropping weight then literally out of nowhere hyperthyroidism. Is that even possible. I think years prior I suffered from hypothyroidism but it shifted is that capable. Thanks lots. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.