Hyperthyroidism and weight gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I’m new to the group and would love to see if anyone else is in the same boat. Years ago, I was diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis, took methamizole and went off when my thyroid was back to normal. It stayed WNL for years but then a couple years ago my TSH went to 0.01. I didn’t have any symptoms so I didn’t start the medication. I’m terrified to gain weight! 2 years later I’m starting to have heart palpitations but I’ve also gained 15 pounds probably due to increased appetite which I thought the metabolism just burns those calories off. sad I made an appt with the dr and I know he’ll put me back on methimazole but I’m afraid I’m going to gain even more weight. I wanted to lose 15 pounds but now after gaining 15 I have to lose 30. It’s also hard now that I’m 43! Anyway, has anyone found they’ve lost weight when going on medication bc your appetite decreases? It makes me not even want to take meds...but i know that’s not healthy and I’m aware of the side effects that can come along with staying in hyper. Sorry this is so long! Hoping to get some insight!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cali

My appetite didn't change when I started Methimazole. I used to be hypothyroid and struggled with weight for years. I developed nodules in 2004, put on Armour Thyroid for suppression therapy and then went very hyperthyroid. Long story short, I started Nutrisystem in January last year at the same time I started Methimazole. I didn't do it because of the meds, I was just ready to really lose weight this time. I lost over 40 lbs, and I'm still on Methimazole 2.5 mg now.  So don't worry. If you watch your diet you should be okay and even able to lose weight. I think a balanced thyroid (metabolism) is the key. As I said, I've never been able to lose weight, even when younger. Now I'm up there in age when it's supposed to be difficult to lose and I'm doing it. Good luck to you!!  Hope you feel better. xo

• Posted

You are so awesome! Thank you for giving me hope! I sooo appreciate it. smile
    • Posted

My pleasure. :-)  You'll get a lot of great advice here.  Be well xo 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.