Hypo and heart

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this June 29 th will mark one year since my thyroid storm. My levels are normal now but experiencing really bad anxiety about something else happening or my thyroid going out of whack again. My heart rate is still messed up and I'm on atenolol daily for it. My cardiologist thinks that my body will eventually fix its self but is sending me to another cardiologist for a second opinion. This other cardiologist specializes in electrocardiograph. The first cardiologist was saying I may need to have my heart zapped... this scares me!!! Anyone else go through what I am? I still have symptoms of hyperthyroidism and then some days I have symptoms of hypo it's weird. Any info would be great.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl08343.

I think your thyroid being out of wack can most certainly cause anxiety, I know mine did. Or if you have been stressed about something, then that can throw your thyroid out of wack, too. I have anxiety with mine beging off...I'm on Zoloft for it and xanax. My cartiologist said all my tests came back good, I'm just experiencing PVCs and some PVSs. I have symptoms of both hypo and hyper. I'm not sure on getting your heart zapped? I would be nervous, too.

Are you experiencing heart palpitations?

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, If you are in ventricular tachycardia then they can give your heart an electric shock to try and reset it to a normal rythm which is called cardioversion and if this is what they are suggesting then they will sedate you for the procedure and monitor you closely. I am euthyroid (levels within normal limits) but still have a more rapid heart rate than I did before my thyroid problem, my doc thinks it will eventually settle of its own accord. I control my anxiety levels by slowing my breathing and just concentrating on relaxing (not easy sometimes but remember it just gets worse if you panic). There have been some posts here on herbal tinctures for anxiety, hopefully someone can tell you about them as I don't need them I don't remember what was in them. I seem to get a mixed bag of symptoms (some suggest hyper some hypo) but I am never sure if it is my thyroid, menopause or something else so I just try to live with them and hope that soon I may feel totally normal (whatever that is) again. Good luck with the cardiologist and your thyroid 🤗

• Posted

How long ago were your thyroid levels messed up until now when you are euthyroid?
  • Posted

What do you mean by my heart rate is still messed up? Is your resting heart rate elevated? Is your heart rhythm irregular? 

In preparation for your appointment with the cardiologist, you could monitor your symptoms and record the data in a spreadsheet. Column titles could be:

date and time, your dose of atenolol, blood pressure, heart rate, activity level, symptoms (tired, out of breath, anxious, palpitations, etc). If you record your symptoms at least once or twice a day, your doctor might be able to glean some useful information. 

• Posted

When I had my thyroid storm my heart rate was I think 158 and at one point got up to 168. My cardiologist believes that at one point in my thyroid storm that something happened to mess up the speed of my heart rate. Now every morning I wake up and I take my atenolol sometimes before doing that though while just getting ready for the morning my heart rate will get up to 133 or 144. While just setting sometimes my heart rate will get up to 116 120. When I'm walking around even if it's just to the car my heart rate can get up to 130. My cardiologist believes that my body will eventually level out however he wants me to get a second opinion about it. It is not all the time that this happens I noticed recently that last time my heart rate went I was when I was sick with bronchitis another time my heart rate was high was when my vitamin D levels were very low.

As far as my anxiety goes I also have a severe phobia of taking medicine so I do not take anything for my anxiety I just try to get through it.

• Posted

On average though my heart is around 85-95 while setting. My heart rate has always been naturally higher anyways even before the thyroid storm I have an identical twin and hers is also naturally higher than what supposed to be even when we were little. Even when my heart rate gets up to 120 I am fine and do not feel uncomfortable it is when it gets up in the 130s that I start getting breathless I start feeling it start to pound out of my neck and my chest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.