hypothyroid after hemithyroidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.two months ago ihad my left thyroid removed .

I have now become hypothyroid was put on 50mg thyroxine. .but not helping now on 125 daily .have had two weeks off work because I am too physically and mentally exhausted to grt out of bed spend days lying on the couch.. I feel guilty because I think I should be able to just get on with life as othrr people seem to!! Any ideas how I van get more energy? I am taking multivitamin, vitamin d and probiotics. Anyone else feel this bad? Or any ideas on how to overcome it would be appreciated thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not surprised you felt tired 50mg is quite a low starting dose (if you have had your thryoid removed). It can take up to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to an increased dose- how long have you been on the higher dose? Have you had your bloods tested since the increase? When you do make sure they test your T3 levels in addition to the T4 and Tsh.

What medication are you on? I'm assuming levothyroxine. This is a t4 medication which is meant to convert to t3 in the body. Not all of us can do this and we sometimes need t3 medication in combination with (or instead of) T4. This medication is called liothyonine. In the UK it is not offered freely due to expense but it is possible to get it via an endocrinologist.

Alternatively there are also natural hormone medications known as NDT. These come from pigs/cows and some people do much better on natural hormones rather than synthetic. In the UK this is available on a private prescription but not nhs.

Hope that helps

• Posted

Hello Carol:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Sorry to hear about the hemithyroidectomy.

When you have a Hemithyroidectomy you lost part of the gland.  Now in some people the other half can work but in some people the other half stops working or is very slow to work.

The meds (LEVO) Thyroxine were designed to work in a  FULL thyroid gland and when that is missing the other organs like the Liver and Bowels must make it work.  It can take longer to absorb and build a proper level.

You must take LEVO an hour before food and please try to take it at the same time each day.

It can take 6 to 12 weeks to build a good level.  Make sure your ferritin and iron are in good shape, this can be checked by a blood level.

When you change doses the time clock starts again as you have to build that level. Make sure your doctor does blood in a few months again to check and you need a TSH, T4 and T3 levels.  Make sure ViT D and B-12 levels which helps with energy are in good shape.  If you can take a good mutli-vitamin or get it from a good diet.

Try and get out of bed and I know it is hard, but some activity helps to make your system work. If you can walk around the house or even down the block and back. Set small goals, do it in baby steps.

Eat good foods and no junk foods and avoid Gluten because it zaps energy!  Eat Fish, and iron rich foods, like spinach and leafy greens if you can or even liver.

No soda and sweets, they add nothing and make you tired from high sugar.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Carol, I would suggest you keep a diary to record your symptoms. Then you can see over time any changes (good or bad) and report this to your doctor. Ask for copies of any blood tests you have so, again, you can 'track' imrovements. Don't forget that you are recovering from surgery, which, in itself, can take it out of you. Plus your body is now adapting to fewer  thyroid hormones. If you are feeling so bad, ring your doctor and let them know. They may re-test your TSH and change the dose. Hope you start to feel better soon.
    • Posted

Scazzoh! Sorry but I disagree strongly with your last sentence, If the doc measures TSH and medicates to it, Carol will almost certain to end up (or continued to be) undermedicated.

The rest of your advice I agree with esp. the fact that recovering from surgery can take it out of you. A course of T3 can help with that recovery. Suppressing  TSH  after a TT is the norm because high TSH can stimulate regrowth of thyroid tissue - which is OK unless there are still cancerous cells in the vicinity, they can grow again. In my case they gave me two months of T3 only until I went onto Levo.

Oh and for completeness when you do get onto Levo you will have to fiddle around with the dosage for a long time until you get to a level where you feel well. You will have to find a patient and knowleagable doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.