Hypothyroidism and Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! In the few months prior to my hypothyroidism diagnosis I experienced a couple of panic attacks for the first time in my entire life. I figured it was a one time thing due to stress and wasn't too worried about it.

Then after my diagnosis, I started taking synthroid 25mcg. I began experiencing anxiety again but didn't really connect the two. Then a month later, my doctor increased my synthroid dose up to 50mcg. My anxiety worsened and I began having panic attacks at least 4 times a week.

I asked my doctor if this could be do to the dose increase and she said its very unlikely and referred me to a psychiatrist. My psych doctor said my anxiety is likely stemming from the adderall I take (25mg), but I don't think this is the case because I have been taking it for four years and have never experienced anxiety until recently. Psych doctor gave me clonidine to help lessen the affects of adderall. This did nothing but make me less focused and have less energy. Then he gave me ativan and klonipins to take if I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. This helps but it doesn't prevent the general feeling of anxiety which is what I'm so frustrated about. I have never been an anxious person and consider myself very easy going and pretty carefree. I just dont feel like myself at all anymore and the only thing I can think of is it being the synthroid...

Also, something else I'm confused about..the first time my TSH levels were tested they were 7.3, second time after taking synthroid 25mcg for 6 weeks they went down to 3.8, then after taking 50 mcg for 6 weeks TSH went back up to 5.73?? However, my T4 and T3 count has always been in normal range. Why would my TSH raise after increasing a dose?? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie, what you describe is typical, all the way around. Totally typical. Anxiety with thyroid disease. Worse anxiety with meds... totally my experience. I have no history of anxiety prior to my hypothyroid disease.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the response! That makes me feel better because no one else thinks it's stemming from thyroid problem.. I've only been on meds for 4 months so do you have any idea if this will go away once my body adjusts to the medicine?

• Posted

Hi Katie, some people can tolerate the synthetic meds better than others. For me, the side effects seemed to lessen a bit, but I suspect I only got used to feeling crappy. The meds didn't work for me at any dose, and I became so ill that I was beddridden before I came to my senses and went off the levothyroxin. After my experience, and reading posts here, I would never use this drug again, and would use alternatives to synthetics such as NDT or ThyroGold. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.