Hypothyroidism Now Hyperthyroidism with Grave's Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone had advice on diet for Graves Disease as I have just been diagnosed. Any suggested books I should read ?

I have had an underactive thyroid for over 10 years and was on thyroxine, after a lot of stress moving house I have suddenly gone to having an overactive thyroid with graves disease. No symptoms of overactive apart from pulse rate has been higher, along with feeling hot and raised blood pressure. Over 6 months I have put on 10lbs, but thought with an overactive thyroid you normally loose weight! The Endocrinologist has confirmed I have got an overactive thyroid and Graves Disease.

I am off to the Doctors next week (after a further blood test)to be put on Carbimizole to control the Graves Disease, probably will end up on Propranolol too - to get my blood pressure back down. After seeing the Endocrinolist 3 weeks ago I have been off thyroxine (he asked me to stop taking thyroxine straight away), feeling okayish. But alarmed that I may put on even more weight with Carbimizole even though I exercise daily.

Any advice would be most appreciated about diet for Graves Disease, what works and how to stop piling on the weight - and also would like to hear from anyone who had a stable underactive thyroid, then suddenly has gone to overactive with Graves Disease.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering if you have both Graves and Hashimoto's disease.  While one can go from hypo to hyper due to meds, Graves is an autoimmune disease which means you have antibodies attacking your thyroid.  I am wondering if you have both Hashimoto's (another autoimmune disease) and Graves.  If so, regulating it is very difficult.  As far as diet, the suggestions I have seen repeatedly is to avoid sugar, gluten and especially aspartame and eat healthy proteins, fruits and vegetables.  I think it is important for all patients to be proactive and to ask their docs for a paper copy of all tests they have done, and learn what these values mean.  Ask your doc about antibody tests for both Graves and Hashimoto's.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda will look into Hashimoto's disease.My diet since being underactive has always been low carb, low fat and high protein with loads of veg and some fruit. Graves disease has been confirmed by blood test for antibodies, but will ask to be tested for Hashimotos. Definitely puzzling! 
  • Posted

I am surprized the doctor didn't simply take you off the Thyroxine and wait 4 weeks or more to test you again, and hold off on the Carbimizole for a little longer to see if the blood test shows it is resolved.

I wonder if the stress could have caused the drop in TSH and even stimulated the immune system and triggered the autoimmune component of GD.

Try to relax.  Eat well with plenty of veggies, some whole grains, protein, and fruits.  Above all try to drink plenty of water without so much of other beverages, particularly caffeinated drinks and sugary ones or even any with artificial sweeteners.  

My doctor [I'm in the US] told me to take my weight (in pounds) divide by two, and the result is the number of fluid oz. of water I should get daily.  My weight was 200 lbs so I needed 100 fl. oz of water, which is close to 3 liters.  Get sufficient sleep if you can.

The Propranolol should help with your most serious symptoms, and you could be able to go off of it soon.

• Posted

Hi Fern, thanks for such useful info. and diet advice much appreciatedbiggrin To explain I had the letter from the Endo confirming that I have GD but I will be having a further blood test next week which is 4 weeks from dropping off the thyroxine.If the blood test again confirms GD, then he'll put me on Carbimizole. I am positive my thyroid has been acting up, because of the stress of moving house. 
    • Posted

That sounds good then.

Sometimes the TSH will drop with a serious chronic illness or severe depression, but the FT4 would be in the normal range.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

message to admin, please can you advise whether we can recommend books as my reply has been put to the moderator?  Just checking, thank you smile

• Posted

You can't post recommendations of books to the Board but you can email the person as a private message by clicking on the envelope under their name.
  • Posted

Im a suffer of graves disease and am on carbimazole. Its never made me put on weight in fact when taking it i loose weight. I know chicken is recommened for graves disease
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah, will just have to see how it goes, have you been on Carbimizole long? I understand Carbimizole gets over active thyroid back to normal and makes Graves symptoms less - and sometimes thyroid goes back to being under active.

Diet, yes seems like chicken, turkey, lean meat, salmon - all protein type foods, as well as fruit, veg and lots of water helps with Graves. Good to hear you did not put on weight biggrin

• Posted

I was on carbimazole for bout 2 years then went to PTU im now back on carbomazole due to thyroid mis behavin after i had my baby 12th november level shot up to 67 in 8 weeks from being normal :-( hate feeling crap !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.