Hypothyroidism & sensitive eyes, symptom?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosed with hypo in September, on levothyroxine 75 mcg. My tsh is down to 1.66.. I’ve been experiencing sensitivity to light and at times my eyes just start to burn and they get all watery. I want to say this started in October when I was at 50 mcg. Is this a hypo symptom or medication effect? Does it ever go away? Thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. When my numbers are off, I get blurry vision. I'm not on Levothroxine but searched for side effects and there are quite a few. When I was hypo, I was on Armour Thyroid. Could you ask your doctor about switching meds? Maybe this drug is not right for you.  Look up side effects of Levo and you'll see what I'm talking about.  

When I was hypo, I had weight gain and dry eyes. And like I said, blurry vision. Now I'm hyper due to a hyperactive nodule. I'm sure others will come by to help with their experiences.  Hope you feel better. 

• Posted

Pretty much all of the side effects listed for Levothyroxine is from becoming hyperthyroid, by being over medicated.  But..  it is still possible that the eye problem is from an intolerance from one of the fillers in the Levo, such as lactose.  I would also imagine that being your new to Levothyroxine, your body is still trying to get used to the hormone changes, which in itself, can cause all kinds of weird symptoms.  If this is the cause, it should go away in about 3 to 4 months AFTER, your last dose increase.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.