hysterectomy and rectocele repair surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my surgery (laparascopic hysterectomy, cervical mesh and rectocele repair) 10 days ago. I have always had a high pain threshold and have found the pain very difficult to deal with. Abdominal pain is minimal. The pain from the repair is another matter entirely! I have been walking slowly for around an hour for the past 2 days and wonder whether this is likely to make matters worse? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is probably too much, at one time, this early. The first 2 weeks you should have as much bed rest as possible. I also had very little pain after my surgery and that makes it hard to take it slow. After 2 weeks short 15 minute walks to start with, slowly building up. Everytime I overdid it I would have what felt like the back labor I had with my second child. Slow down, Watch some movies, read a book. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. That's a lot of surgery to have in one go - im not surprised! I hope you're well supported at home

I'm regards to the walking, you're doing great. As long as it is always slowly and you stop before you feel too worn out, or that you've pushed yourself to the limit. 

The reason I say this is that DVTs are very common after surgery. Trying to regain some mobility will help fight against this (as well as the support stocking you should still be wearing and any blood thinners you may be on. Do wear the stockings if you're only up and about once a day!!). Also the walking increases and improves your blood flow all over and will aid with healing

You're doing great. Slowly, slowly xx

• Posted

Are you talking about an hours continuous walking or do you mean you are walking around for a total of an hour throughout the day? If it is the former it is highly likely you are doing too much. Any pain is a sign you are overdoing it. 

I had very little pain, just felt a bit uncomfortable but knew when I got pain it was because I had been walking too much or moving too much etc,. When you say pain from the repair, where in the body do you hurt? I had hysterectomy including ovary removal, cystocele and bladder repair. Felt uncomfortable  mainly in the tummy area. I started with a 10 minute walk and then increased to 20 minutes. I'm 8 weeks postop and can go to the shopping centre and walk around for 3-4 hours but feel totally knackered at the end! 

• Posted

Hi there

It is still early days so take things easy.  Your pain will improve and you should continue taking pain relief until you feel much better.   Resting as much as you can will also help.  I slept most of the time for the first 6 weeks and  am now 8 weeks post op and only just feeling normal but still taking things easy.   The pain will improve week by week and you will know yourself when you can start to do more. Goodluck with your recovery. 

• Posted

Spoke to my gp about the level of pain I was experiencing. I had some difficulty with the painkillers prescribed by the hospital and found paracetamol and ibuprofen insufficient. Gp recommended diclofenac and paracetamol with codeine. Have had no problems taking codeine in the past but now seems to cause constipation which is not good! Now using diclofenac and paracetamol and have had a slightly better day. Thank you for your responses. It certainly helps to know you are not the only one with these issues. 
    • Posted

Glad you have had some relief with right concoction. ..I took back to back pain killers for 4 weeks then weaned myself off slowly. I still take lactulose twice a day and a fybrogel every morning.  Being constipated is not an option for you so make sure you are taking something to help as unfortunately the side effects of most painkillers is constipation.  Hope you go from strength to strength. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.