Hysterocopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone any advice regards having a hysteroscopy?  I've  had (they think) post menopausal bleeds and been sent for tests. Had an ultrasound today and transvaginal ultrasound following by a biopsy.  I think it's my current Mirena coil wearing off and don't think I've gone through the change at all? They think my womb and ovaries look fine although the lining of my womb is a little thick.  Booked in for hysteroscopy next Friday.............. what do I expect?  Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi wendy   I have been exactly where you are!  I too had thickening of womb lining, then scan and tv scan.  Had a hysteroscopy last June and it was not a big deal.  Because you haven't been through menopause you may be able to have it with local anaesthetic as I did many years ago.  This time I had a spinal but only because I don't like GA.  It was painless despite them trying twice to remove a fibroid, and doing a biopsy at the same time.  Recovery was fast and no after effects.  Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Thank you ever so much for getting back to me.  Yours and the other posts have put my mind at rest.  I had googled it and as ever, saw some stuff I really wished I hadn't!  I know I'm having a local anaesthetic so we'll see how it goes.  All the best xx
  • Posted

Hi wendy I have had exactly the same had the scan and two weeks ago had hysteroscopy . .They actually put me out because I have had a c section and it was fine .I had a light bleed for 5/6 days and felt bloated in my tummy but apart from that all was well .STILL waiting for the results but fingers crossed all will be okay .I am 56 and my bleed was 16 months post menopause .

• Posted

Wished they knock me out!  Trouble is I don't know if I am menopausal because I have had the Mirena coil since my early 40's.  The latest one is now 7 years old and it's my theory that this is starting to wear off, that's why I had 2 slight bleeds (both like mini periods and a month apart).  I've had 2 high hormone blood tests which the consultant said yesterday are an indication of the menopause but certainly not fool proof.  Thanks for replying, it's lovely to hear first hand that it isnt too bad x
  • Posted

I had hysteroscopy just before christmas, where they took some biopsies, dont worry about it , it wasnt as bad as i feared, just take a couple of painkillers before you go, thats what somene recommended to me, worse part was them putting the speculum ? ( what they use in a smear to hold it open  ) thing in

I googled beforehand which only brought up people saying how bad it was, I am a wimp and it wasnt that bad

• Posted

Thanks for this just what I needed to hear 😊😊😊😊😊😊
    • Posted

What I'm worried about is the speculum !! As my last smear 18 months ago the bloody nurse took 40 mins trying to find my cervix and worrying what if they can't find it tomorrow !! (Nurse could have been useless but where is my bloody cervix surely its there and it's made me worried about tomorrow cod of that smear and my uterus being retro flexed xx
    • Posted

Hiya, all I've seen is bad things about how painful it is but after reading all these responses I do feel a lot calmer about it and just want to get on with it now.  I've always found the speculum painful, more so as I get older.  Thanks for getting in touch x

• Posted

Honestly they are used to all sorts of problems and they know what to do to help u .just deep breaths and relax as much as possible .
    • Posted

I know what you mean.  I feel quite alright about it now and as I'm going for upper GI endoscopy 21st June, I feel in my heart of hearts that this one will be a walk in the park compared to that monster!  It'll be my 3rd and as my 2nd one involved heavy sedation I'm hoping no.3 with be almost as bearable as the 2nd................ Be glad when it's July!! wink 

• Posted

Wendy, if you find the speculum painful on smears(as i do) i really would recommend having a ga when you have your hysteroscopy (as i did several years ago). hope this helpsxx
  • Posted

Hello I have a hysteroscopy tomorrow morning,I have been diagnosed as having endometriosis Mri picked it up and it showed some irregularity in womb resembling a clot so hysteroscopy advised.its under a local but all I'm worried about is I have a retro flexed uterus (tipping backwards ? And wondering will it be uncomfortable because of this lol !!
    • Posted

Hello, I do hope everything goes well for you today.  I struggled a bit yesterday with pain, like I always do, and they explained that it was a spasm either uterus or cervix (wasn't listening too closely I have to say!).  I think most of us find the speculum bit a little uncomfortable but find as I get older I get quite a lot of pain, as I did yesterday with the biopsy - it was such a relief when it was taken out.  I did feel relieved that the consultant explained it was a spasm - didn't feel such a wet lettuce after he told me that!  Hope you get on OK X

• Posted

I woke up at 4am sick as a dog with migraine socials not go and rearranged.i suffer terribly with migraines,typical but I can't drive or do anything except lay down and sleep.thwyre sending me a new appt xxx
    • Posted

Oh crikey, no sad   Unless you've had them they are something else.  I used to have them in my 30's and get the odd one now and again.  I am lucky as I don't get the sickness, just the aura, prism thingymagig in my eyes with tunnel vision and then the belting head ache.  They really do knock you sideways.  Get well soon xxx
    • Posted

I suffered every month with migraines due to periods then started norethesvterone in March for heavy prolonged periods but it has helped a lot but last night boom !!! If I had gone to appt I would have been even more sick so changed it As for the best xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.