Hysterocopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone any advice regards having a hysteroscopy?  I've  had (they think) post menopausal bleeds and been sent for tests. Had an ultrasound today and transvaginal ultrasound following by a biopsy.  I think it's my current Mirena coil wearing off and don't think I've gone through the change at all? They think my womb and ovaries look fine although the lining of my womb is a little thick.  Booked in for hysteroscopy next Friday.............. what do I expect?  Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Wendy, I am having same procedure and a D&C on June 9th.  I was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia and a polyp after i started bleeding 14 months post menopausal ....i thought i was DONE !!!  i was freaking out about it and the biopsy started googling and had to STOP it was making me insane.  i'm much better now and am actually looking forward to getting it done if it stops the bleeding...about every 6 days i have spotting (since march where i had a three week longer period) ....i switched gyn docs b/c the first one who found this on ultrasound was a witch.  basically i havent been to the gyn in a long long time and she acted as if it was my fault that i now have to come to her for help!  i found a much better doctor who i trust to do the procedure.  i am getting a general b/c i am a wimp and do not want to know whats going on or feel any pain.  i am phobic about the speculum so i cannot even have a pap smear...she will have to do it while i'm under.  lol...seriously i've had a c-section and i cannot do this!  but its okay i just want it over.  no idea what to expect after, not going to get worked up about the biopsy...she said very very rare to find cancer....so i'm going with that.   i did find out i am also diabetic and have been put on metformin which has helped tremendously with the fatigue, other peri type symptoms.  i have had ALL of the symptoms that everyone mentions on these threads.  but many of them are gone after starting the metformin.  not sure if coincidence.  apparantely the fat (i'm overweight) produces estrogen and yet i dont have enough progesterone (i think) to slough off the lining (period)....i have lost some weight since march and have had what i think are month periods since then.  i am 54 yrs old and did nto have a period for a yr and half and prior to that age 50 i stopped having periods and then had one in sept 2014 and then again this past march.  i can see how the diabetes and increased weight/sugar would produce too much estrogen and my body not able to counter with progesterone.  during these last several years i experienced all of the peri symptoms sometimes off/on or all at once, - cold feet, hands, hot flashes, headache, jaw ache, dizziness, off balance, ringing in ears, jumping tummy, itchy skin, etc on and on and on...most have been relieved after taking the metformin so i'm not sure if its the diabetes affecting the hormones or the hormones affecting the diabetes, but its been crazy.  i hope your procedure goes well, i will keep you up to date on mine.  i also had my primary doctor prescribe me zanax to take prior to the surgery so i'm not a raving lunatic lol
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen, you are the same age as me.  I had to smile at some of the humour in your post and fabulous to hear from people that are going through the same thing.  I have to whole heartedly agree that the internet can and does scare the pants off me.  I got to a stage last night when I thought, Wend, you need to STOP.  I did just that and came on here which is by far the most sensible approach.  

Your peri menopausal symptoms are interesting.  My hands and feet are freezing and never been a smoker (thought it was vascular) also get jumpy bubbly feelings in my calves - can see them moving sometimes - I swear it's an alien!!  

I too need to lose some weight.  I've joined a ladies gym but that's the last thing I need today - still got some crampy dull pain.

As per my replies to other posts, I am not sure if I have ever gone through the MP yet.  The coil has been a life saver for me and a life changer too but I dont know where I am? I had dreadful sweats for about 6 months and they were every 15 minutes, morning, noon and night.  I was also diagnosed with Lyme disease (I was lucky enough to actually see and remove the tick) and it turns out that the sweats are classic Lyme.  I've had 20 weeks of double anti-biotics and feel that Lyme has either been beaten or abated for the time being - hopefully the former.

All in all, the coil is masking things and Lyme was/is confusing things seeing as I'm 54.

Basically I'm falling apart!!

Hope all goes brilliantly for you on the 9th.  I am sure it will. 

Take care xx

• Posted

thanks wendy for your reply yes its good to share here.  good luck to you as well.  yesterday out of blue i had another "episode" ..i coughed hard and basically expelled a large clot and then bled ...still some spotting this morning.  not sure if this is the polyp bleeding or not but it wasnt time for a period at least i dont think so ...anyway i am spotting or bleeding bright red about every 6 days.  not enough to cover a pad but its still there.  i actually feel better when i'm bleeding or just after as i am not so filled with fluid.  strange stuff !
  • Posted

Hello. Just to let you know that I had a hysteroscopy today. My advice would be to take 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen about an hour before the procedure. The filling of your uterus with the fluid just feels a bit weird but not painful. When the scope passes your cervix it hurts a little but only momentarily then it just feels a bit like mild period pains. I had 3 polyps removed one of which was about an inch long but didn't notice any pain at all as they removed them. It was all over in a matter of minutes. Please don't worry and the nurse will hold your hand the whole time.
    • Posted

Do you bleed after the polyp removal ? I'm due to have one removed but they are doing it under a general
    • Posted

Hi. I had 3 polyps removed yesterday. You do bleed but only a little. I was told that I may bleed for several days but so far haven't noticed very much at all. No more than the odd spot really.
  • Posted

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but wanted to update you all on how I got on.  First and foremost the hysteroscopy was no worse than having a smear.  I found it a little uncomfy but then again I find smears uncomfortable too.  The only thing I would say is have some painkillers before hand as, if you have any gripy pains after the local wears off, then this will help you.  I had expected period-like pains and nothing major.  Good news is that everything with the initial biospy was fine and so too was the scope.  Down side is that, as I was at a low ebb (Not long beaten Lyme disease) and the stress of worrying about things have stirred up shingles!  Therefore, any pain I had after the procedure could well have been the shingles starting and not to do with the scope.  I'm relieved but a tad fed up having shingles pain and flu-like feelings when I'm bursting to get out and do some gardening!  Take care and thank you all for help xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.