Hysteroscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok has anybody had this procedure? I am 59 and still having irregular periods. Older women in my family who still have their uterus, went until 57, 58. I also have fibroids. Doc said she isn't worried but I am!! She said she just wants to check thickness and fibroids. Pap was normal. Trying not to freak out like I have been doing lately with any ache, pain or sensation.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Katy,

I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 40

Due to fibroids. They are harmless but for some people they can be painful depending on the size and where they are .... in my case I had one the size of a golfball one the size of a lemon which both were putting pressure on my ovaries and causing me to have heavy periods. I felt better after but now I'm dealing with other issues from menopause.

• Posted

thank you, Grace...I am having those exact issues with heavy flow and pain...

Prayerful that this helps.

• Posted

I had fibroids removed this way about 6 years ago. It’s was relatively simple. Took 3-4 days to feel somewhat normal. There were activity restrictions for a week or two, but no pain after a few days. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Teri, for your reply. Just trying to get ready mentally, ya know?

Do you remember having to do anything to prep the night before? Was the actual procedure painful?

• Posted

I had general anesthesia, so no pain during. Prep was typical labs a week before then no food or drink 12 hours before. They gave me Vicodin in recovery - which I didn’t even ask for - but after that I alternated 800mg ibuprofen with Tylenol. 
  • Posted

I have had six of them and are usually done in the hospital under anesthesia I did it in the doctors office procedure room without anesthesia never felt a thing had polyps removed each time
    • Posted

Yes!!! Thanks so much for your response! I was beginning to be afraid of pain because some ladies were saying they had general anesthesia, which I do not want. But my doc never mentioned that, she said she would do it in her office and it would take about 10 minutes.

So thanks for sharing your experience!

• Posted

I had one a few years ago, no anesthesia and had my period, was done in gynos office. Honestly, it’s a little uncomfortable but I took some ibuprofen before I had it done and went to work right after. I felt fine the rest of the day. Hope that helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.