I am 17 years old just started taking Mirtazapine 15mg for poor sleeping and depression.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a while and was put on mirtazapine 15mg. I took it for the first time yesterday and am very drowsy today, is that normal? Will it wear off? Thank you.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you taking it before bed? I was like a zombie when I first took it, I started on 15mg and because it made me feel like a zombie I lowered the dose which was better for me. It will probably take about a week or so, so hang in there! Also makes you super hungry! Good luck with the mirtazapine x 😊

• Posted

I'm taking it 30 mins before bed. Have you found it to be a useful drug?

• Posted

Yeah helped a lot with my sleeping, I slept like a baby...also helped with my depression, it may take up to 4 weeks to work so hang in there and all the best x
    • Posted

Been on it at various doses for a while. Couldnt take 30, far too much anxiety, 15 also anxoious. Dropped to 7.5, bearable and sleep helps. Doesnt address anxiety though. Hope you fare well
  • Posted

Hi nate28172, really hope things work to out OK for you with Mirt, side effects always ware off as your body gets adjusted and it takes a couple of weeks for the meds to suss out what they are supposed to do so stick with it you will get better.

Neil 

• Posted

Yes it is normal. I actually started mirtazapine at 15 mg I couldn't handle the zombie like half dead feeling the next day so I cut my dose in half and took 7.5mg instead for me it was less sedating. Only helped me for my sleep part not for anxiety though. Hope this makes sense and or helps.

• Posted

Hi, i have same problem, mirtaz cant tolerate more than 7.5. Not dealing with anxiety so dr wants to augment with risperidone orbolanzapine.  Have you tried anything for the anxiety?
  • Posted

Hi Nate.Started on Mirt 6 months ago at 15mg at night going up to 30mg(15mg am,15mg pm).The side effects will wear off after 2-3 weeks depending on your body.Helps me alot at night to wind down not so much during the day depending on my level of anxiety/depression.Actually I should say it helps with anx/dep for awhile but as it wears off and the day gets busier it's not as effective.It may be different with you so don't give up.Hope it helps you.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

15 mgs of Mirt is given for sleep and should be taken at bedtime.  If you took it during the day or early evening before bed, you are feeling the sedative effects but the true effects usually are not felt for at least 2-3 weeks. Are you taking any other meds?
    • Posted

No im not. i started cutting the 15mg in half to try and reduce the effects
    • Posted

Are you feeling less sedated on 7.5 mgs?  Is that amount helping you sleep?  Usually 15 mgs are given for sleep and 30 mgs for sleep and depression.  How do you feel on the 7.5 mgs.?
    • Posted

I feel kind of the same as i previously did, no real change
    • Posted

It's been putting me to sleep, i've been having very vivid dreams but sleeping through the night. i'm still kind of drowsy during the day though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.