I am 51 peri menapause and have fibroids esmyia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 51 with perimenapausal symptoms and large fibroids 11 cm 40 week abdomen. I have been prescribed esmyia as I think that I should go into menapause soon. I wondered if anyone has gone into menapause after a three month cycle? Also do you have to take it during the period or can it be taken at any time in the cycle the chemist said I did not need to be having a period hich seems to contradict what I have read . The consultant also was unclear.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am 54 with several large fibroids and endometriosis. I have had peri menopausal symptoms for the last 4 or 5 years, but heavy bleeding and clots getting worse and for longer each month with no sign of stopping any time soon. Abdomen bigger than when I gave birth many years ago now. I had severe anaemia which took me to gp. Raised markers Ca125 took me for scan to find fibroids lurking. Referred to gynaecologist who suggested full hysterectomy, which I do not really want. I had 3 months Esmya (difficulty with severe side effects including hair loss and constant pain, sickness and diahorrea which were unbearable - this is not always the case they just didn't suit me) and now going for 3rd Zoladex implant tomorrow in the hope of shrinking everything and getting to natural menopause. I am now getting nausea with some sickness but main side effect is turning into a  volcano and being drenched in sweat at least half a dozen times a day which is quite uncomfortable and limits how much I leave the house, plus night sweats and frequent visits to the bathroom each night for good measure. Sounds horrible, but preferable to the surgery for me.

I was told to take the first Esmya tablet on the first day of your period and then continue at same time each day. I found that taking them late in the evening was better than in the morning.

I am starting to notice a change in shape but need another ultrasound to confirm if the fibroids are actually shrinking.

Good luck with the tablets, I hope they work for you. It takes about 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust and any side effects do improve, so stick with it if you can.

Julie of 

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for you response . So sorry to hear about your syptoms. So glad there is this site though as I have not really been able to talk with anyone who really understands just how awful this is. I like you really don't want surgery. My sister went into menapause at 52. As I am 51 I am hoping that the esmya will just help me towards it. I am nervous about hormone route as my hair is already very thin in places due to menapause symptoms and palpataions. So worried as I work freelance and have two children to look after.

?They told me that anxiety can increase did you find this. I have been more anxious with menapausal symptoms anyway. My womb is as yours the size of a full term pregnancy it has quite an impact on me. I would love to keep up with how you get on as I have not seen ayon else with similar size fibroids who is also on the menapause journey.

Renae

• Posted

Hi Renae

Anxiety has been a problem anyway over the last few years but I can't say it has got any worse with the hormone therapy, the main reason for taking them was to stop the heavy bleeding from the endometriosis and to hopefully shrink my huge abdomen and fibroids. The gynaecologist said that these problems all improve after menopause so just praying for that day to come soon. I do find I get some very strange looks when out and people see my stomach around the corner before I get there! Lol!

I have not had a full blown period whilst on the treatment but I do get light bleed/ pinkish discharge most days, which I was told was a good sign that the fibroids are degenerating. You may also find that you pass small bits of fibroid as they break down, but not a major problem and I just wear a pantyliner every day.

It's really not fair that we have to go through all this and it takes over your whole life. I am lucky that I am not in a relationship as I am sure it would put a huge strain on things. It's hard to explain to people how much it affects you unless they have been through a similar experience. There is always someone to talk to on this website round the clock (America / Canada / U.K.) which I find helps a great deal knowing you are not alone.

Best wishes 

Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.