I am almost certain i have ADHD but my parents wont believe me, is there anything i can do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've always suspected myself having ADHD, but my parents cough cough MUM doesn't believe me. She thinks I'm just lazy and want an excuse to be lazy.

I have done various online tests which have all come back positive, friends opinions and my 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grade teacher all thought i might have some learning problems. My mum dismissed them all, in her mind her words are better than a doctors opinion, she thinks a doctor will diagnose me with ADHD and prescribe me medicine because they can earn money off that. She also said if i begin medication i would be stuck with it for life, which is a risk I'm willing to take seeing how far my grades have dropped. I literally can't focus in class, even if i try my brain just doesn't want to think and i get an episode of depersonalization. I'm sick of beginning at a new school every time, trying to create the best first impression i can't make.

When i start a new school, I promise to myself i want to try hard that year, like really really try hard, but it doesn't work , I've tried this the last 2 schools i went to and my grades only end up dropping lower.

Might i add, if i'm really interested in a subject i will put my full attention to it, like music, sometimes maths and science, but if not i just drift off into some dream world where my mind essentially shuts down and refuses to work.

I really really want a diagnosis, i know this is not normal and it just can't be laziness. I don't care if its not ADHD because i just want to know whats wrong.

I also have social anxiety so talking to a school counselor isn't an option.

I think the reason also has something to do with boredom during class.

Can anyone help me? i would really like to change before this problem gets out of hand, and i would prefer a way in which doesn't involve my parents. Is it possible to be prescribed adhd drugs without parent consent? i turn 16 in 4 months and live in NSW Australia.

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

• Posted

due to your age you can go see a doctor without your parents having to be involved, ADHD medication won't just be handed out it can and months/years to even get a diagnosis . have you asked the school to test you for dyslexia? as this can impact your learning and Ability to focus on subjects that you have no interest in. There is no medication for dyslexia. But you are able to get extra help and support. the test can be done on a computer at school and doesn't take long at all . How often are you changing schools because this can also affect you in a negative way.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i went to 4 primary schools in the span of 7 years, and im currently in my 3rd high school, im in year 10 and i know i will be transferring schools at least one more time.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up