I AM AN IDIOT ALERT!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have a question i'm hoping to get help with. So a week after i had my gallbladder removed i took off my dressings just as instructed by my surgeon and team of nurses. I noticed one of my scars was still weeping/oozing. The scar was also green and looks not very attractive.

I didnt have a fever or feel unwell at all but i thought id call the hospital and see what to do. My surgeon told me to go to the walk in clinic and get it looked at.

The doctor there perscribed me with a course of anti biotics. I took them as instructed (with maybe one or two missed doses- picked up the next day).

However, THIS IS THE IDIOT ALERT PART) it looked better, it had scabbed over (i had uncovered it as when it was covered it still oozed) the scab started flacking and looked like it would fall off soon. So me having the uncontrollable urge to get this disgusting scab off me picked it off!!!! Im afraid ive done more damage. And i now feel like an idiot! The scab was deeper than i expected it to be. So when i pulled it off it has now left a fairly substantial hole (which looks more infected then it did before).

Anyway, my question is has anyones infections ever cleared up on its own? Has anyone experienced the 'hole'? I dont really know what to do. Should i go back to the doctor?

Thank in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go to the ER and get it looked after/. Don't wait.  You don't want a very nasty bacterial infection!

• Posted

Go to a and e and they will sort it.

ps ? Don’t leave it , in can get real bad no joke !

• Posted

Dear never.pick at your incisions. I was glued a couple of dissolving stitched .Did you have laproscopic or old way. You need to go to ER you could get blood infection. Please Go asap!. Good Luck to you.😍

• Posted

Hey fernando my friend.

how are you doing ?

i think your doing ok now ,least I hope you are .

me I’m 8 weeks post opp now and still have the stitch like pain intermittently just below my right rib

looks like I’ve have to learn to live with it .

i have put on 14 pounds in weight over the last 8 weeks of which I am happy about.

i seem to be able to eat anything which is good of course.

how is yr pain ?

• Posted

A little pain now and then. I am so happy to be out of the woods as they say. Anyways I hope you are well you my friend will be in pain for a few more months. Low fat is the key unless you want to go back to the hospital. Nice interject with you. Happy Days are heaading your way. My friend.
    • Posted

Happy to hear your doing well amigo x

well I was on a low to no fat diet for 3 years and I want some weight back on me now & my surgeon 

told me I can eat anything I want now the morning after surgery !

but I haven’t gone too mad to be honest still to scared lol

but I have introduced more fat to my diet ie I’ve had Chinese twice in 8 weeks

not had an Indian curry as yet too scared to risk it.

but I’m eating things like digestive biscuits 

‘chicken and mushroom pies

the odd fillet of steak here and their.

not had no ull fat milk in tea and think ole stick to the skimmed as I’ve got used to it now anyway even on my shreddies.

had tuna pasta with cheese quite a few times etc ect

but no food had upset my tummy as yet I don’t think.

hey amigo, it’s good to alive right !

stay in touch and I wish you good health my friend.

which country are you in anyway ?

im in uk.

talk soon .

drink good water lots .

get good sleep lots .

laugh lots .

and make fresh smoothies like me everyday!

i have in mine daily ,apple pear banana mango pineapple strawberry blueberry some greens

and a spoonful of chia seeds ,organic wheatgrass powder and a scoop full of a plant based powder protein by vega.

and its nutritious and delicious and very filling .

chatt soon lets have an amazing Christmas now .

• Posted

I also ended up with a wound infection that took about 3 weeks to clear up. I was given double dose flucloxacillin twice but this didn’t clear it up. I caught the scab and it tore off and had a lot of pus come out so I squeezed most of it out. Better out than in! Went back to doctor and they swabbed it and got doxycycline which cleared it up within a few days.

In answer to experiencing “the hole”. Yes! Every time the wound opened up I had that. But it healed after second line antibiotics. Sounds like they possibly weren’t the right antibiotics to start with either. My wound was taking forever to heal until I got the doxycycline and it closed up within a few days. If there’s infection in there it doesn’t heal. My wound wasn’t completely healed over until 7-8 weeks post-op due to the wound being infected. Get back to doctors and get the wound swabbed and more antibiotics. You’ll be surprised how quickly it heals when you’re on the right one xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.