I am currently on venlafaxine for depression and anxiety...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am currently on venlafaxine for depression and anxiety but am reducing this medication. I am now down to 37.5mg every other day. My psychiatrist has now prescribed me mirtazapine 30mg per night. Haven't started taking them yet as the side effects concern me and these were not discussed when i was prescribed them. The reason i am so concerned is all the problems i have had with venlafaxine - constant gastric problems. The withdrawal from venlafaxine is horrendous, it has taken me 6 months to get down from 225mg per day to 37.5mg every other day, and this is still making me ill. Wondering how common the weight gain issue is with mirtazapine, and the pains in the legs when medication taken on a night, thus preventing sleep. As lack of sleep is one of my main problems. Any advice would be most welcome. My next appointment to see psychiatrist is not for another 10 weeks so don't want to wait until then

[i:5887dd707f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5887dd707f]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

First of all well done at cutting down your venlafaxine.

I'm on 15mg a night of mirtazapine and I split that now to 7mg after 3mths but I wanted to reassure you that weight gain was a concern for me too. Although an increase in appetite, especially in the morning, i'm eating fruit etc and have n't gained any weight. restless leg? I don't get any. If you find it's really bad just ask your doctor to reduce your dose as I think this is a wonder drug even in small amounts. Good Luck I promise you'll sleep like a baby!

[i:1d292eb45b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1d292eb45b]

• Posted

I dont get restless legs at night I am so fast asleep I dont even notice my husband getting up to our small son. The side effects are minimal I have a floaty head at the moment but people say it doesnt last and mild restless feelings. But I am much better than before cause I was on cipralex for 10 months which I have to say are useless and should be thrown to the lions!! Dont be afraid to start this tablet it will help you sleep:cheers:

[i:58cd7ea56e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:58cd7ea56e]

• Posted

Hi

I have been on zispin for 2 months and the restless leg feeling is quite bad at times. I could not stand it for the first few weeks. I was getting really irritated by it and could not sleep. though does seem to be decreasing as time goes on. The weight is an issue for me too. I have put on around a stone so far. it seems like appetite is constant. so i guess its a case of will power. at first taking the tablet i did not think it was helping me. but i now am starting to feel less 'depressed'. so i would give it a try and hopefully the side effects - if they do affect you - will not be too bad.:wink:

[i:8b4ef80792]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8b4ef80792]

• Posted

I spent five years on venlafaxine and two years ago was moved to mirtazapine 30mg daily.The weight gain and spots are deffinitely the two biggest long term side effects in my experience.You feel constantly hungry and the feeling is worse at night,just when you know you shouldn't eat! After seven years on SSRI's I can say that it has been my experience that the leg shakes and palpatations never go,they do lessen with time.I do agree with many of the contributors,GP's should definitely offer counseling as a primary option not just pack you off with a few kind words and a prescription.The best medicine I ever got for my illness was Hypnotherapy and CBT by an incredible individual called Thomas Kidd.Without his help I would not be here to make this contribution.I strongly recommend you try this option - it worked for me.Finally I want to say you are never alone,there are thousands of us with this 'secret' illness,you CAN beat this and get well!All the best Phil. :cheers:

[i:a06815f758]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a06815f758]

• Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for 5 days and I feel terrible! I have been on Cipramil for 7 years but after the birth of my last child I decided to come off the medication. Initially I felt better but then I had a major depressive episode where I was prescribed Paroxetine initially in 15mg then 30mg. This drug made no difference whatsoever and if anything increased my suicidal tendancies. I returned to the GP who gave me 15mg of Mirtazapine to start after weaning myself off Paroxetine. I came off all medication last Friday and felt wonderful - on a real high. Then started mirtazapine and have had more suicidal thoughts than ever before. My legs are shaky, I feel like I have cotton wool in my ears, my vision is blurred and I have gained weight - all in 5 days sad

My family have really noticed a change in my personality and I am finding it hard to concentrate. My thoughts are all over the place. Bit confused as what to do. Not sure I want to feel like this anymore

[i:0613713e0f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0613713e0f]

• Posted

I have been on zispin now for nearlt 4 weeks. my dose started at 15mg increasing to 30mg while weaning of citalopram. I do feel much better in a way but I have now exchanged one problem with another. I have out on a stone on weight in just under two weeks. I feel uncomfortable and disgusted with myself. Eating salad and fruit has made no difference to me. The other feeling is as if im living in a tunnel not being able to concentrate very well, but Ihave been able to get out of bedd earlier to sort out my three children before they go to school. Has anybody else put on alot of weight if so what did your doctor say?

[i:7e92ef8ba8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7e92ef8ba8]

• Posted

i can't beleive I haven't seen this site before, it would have helped me so much. I've been suffering with depression for 2 years, have had various antidepressants, citalopram, fluoxitine, diazapam, and finally mirtazipine after a serious episode. i've also been recieving counselling twice a week. the side effects i experienced with mirtazapine were terrible, at first the sleep was amazing and lifted my mood, but then the restless legs, increased appetite and weight gain, and feeling constantly tired and drugged up became unbearable. i repeatedly asked for help and explained to my counsellour and consultant that i really wasn't happy on the drug, was told to continue and put my faith in it. Eventually, they reviewed and recommended I changed to 60mg of the prozac family, can't remember the name... i didn't take it and weaned myself off mirtazapine. I've been off any drugs for 2wks and am still feeling the restless leg thingy, but am feeling the closest I have to being myself in two years. Am just now learning to deal with the aftermath of this terrible illness, and build my confidence and relationships up again, its not easy, but its nice to not feel like an alien, and more like me. my friends and family say they feel as though I'm back, which is good, i just don't wanna go back to the dark place I've been for two years. My heart felt support and thoughts go out to all those posting on this site, I hate to think of anyone going through this.

[i:e3d717c2c0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e3d717c2c0]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.