I am depressed and lonely and see a way out of it.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have posted on here before and i battle depression on a daily basis. I have been backwards and forwards to the drs yet i will not take any medication as i am afraid that i will get addicted to it, I have had one block of CBT sessions (6) and have had 10 weeks with a counsellor in the past. I have an older son who doesnt even bother to pick up the phone and see how i am. A daughter who i havent spoken to in 3 years and it was never my fault yet she will not let me near her. A younger son who lives with us who i adore and who is my main stay.  A husband who is a good man but who doesnt have a clue just what i am going though. He is husband No.3.  I never seem to be happy and to be honest i just cannot stand how i feel. I just cannot sleep and i know my past has a lot to do with it all. Long story but i was a battered wife (husband No.1) for 20 years until i got the courage and got away. I had every type of degredation done to me and at night when i should be off to sleep my head kicks in and i just have flash backs. I also fell out with someone who i looked on as my best friend for over 23 years. I just got sick of it always being me who ran after her without a thought of what i wanted. When i stopped texting and going round i didnt hear from her again, Everyone said she was a user and not the type of person that i should have around me but i just dont have another friend in the area to where i live. Oh there are so many things bothering my head at the moment that i dont seem to get any peace from it all. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this and what advice can you give, if any. I am beginning to think that it is me and maybe i am just odd and not easy to get along with. I dont know. Thank you for reading.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I can empathize with you. I had a nightmare of a childhood with every kind of abuse.

I have suffered with depression most of my life. I am 52 now. 

I have started back on medication after having a breakdown in December and spending from mid January to mid May in hospital. 

I am back with my therapist working on finally dealing with my nightmares. 

I have tried different kinds of therapy and medications and I'm not giving up.

Neither should you.

Take some time and care of yourself. You are worth it.

Try something different, as you never know what might work. But you need to deal with your past and free yourself of its weight and damage. It won't be easy but it will be worth it.

Im learning so much more about myself by doing just that.

Remember you are worth it and you can do this.

• Posted

Hi Sandra - I second every thing that Laurie has written. I too am a survivor of an abusive childhood and spent decades self medicating with booze and drugs, knowing all along that one day it would come crashing down and I would have to deal with the turmoil inside. It happened at age 46 and it wasn't pretty. I'm 55 now and have run the gauntlet of psychologists/psychiatrists/medications, and found it a frustrating, painful experince - but necessary to move foward.

The first and most important step is to quell the torment of your mind and the most effective way to do so is with medications. Meds are not necessarily addictive, and they generally are not a life-time necessity. Neither are they necessarily addictive. Use of them would be monitered by your doctor, and any changes to dosage or weaning from them will be done safely and gradually. Initially, the meds may cause discomfort as your system adjusts, this will pass, and improvement should be seen in 3-6 weeks. It's important that you continue taking the meds even when you are feeling better. Sudden withdrawal can be dangerous. The meds are a tool, and in cases like ours, should be used in conjunction with therapy. A psychologist would be the best bet - placing a time limit on therapy, like 10 weeks, is unhelpful and unrealistic. Psychological exploration takes as long as it takes and differs with each individual. The meds will even out your mood so you can concentrate on the work that need to be done. that work means digging into your past and dragging out those traumas you have survived. The psychologist will not have answers for you - you have those - he/she will only guide you, helping you to realise that the powerlessness you experinced back then is not the reality now. Bringing out the events is important - one reason we suffer depression is because we have buried pain where it has festered and infected all aspects of our lives. We need to face it and deal with it. Bring it into the light. Recognise it. face it head on. This is done safely in an environment of understanding and guidance. Healing will follow. It will take time. It will be painful. But it will be worth it. Your life will change.

My experience through all this led me to the point where I dispensed with the doctors. I accepted that what was done was done to me, that I wasn't to blame, that I survived it, that no matter how I begged/screamed/raged for answers, reasons, no response would remove the reality or become some sort of magic cure. Eventually I forgave my abusers - but not for them. For me. The events are a part of me, but they don't define me. It is a concious decision, and it takes work because we are addicted to a particular way of feeling and thinking in relation to those traumas. 

As regard your children, all I can suggest is that you first look after yourself. Other things will follow when you are ready for it. It's no good piling blame and expectation on yourself. It is exacerbating your illness. You need help for you. Make that appointment again with the doctor. Talk about your fears where meds are concerned. You will be reassured. Make sure you get a referral to an established psychologist. If you find you are not comfortable with any of the health care professionals you encounter, find another. Your safety and ability to trust them is paramount to a positive outcome. Remember this project is not a permanent endeavor. It's a bridge that will deliver you to a more stable and happier future. Best of luck to you. You are not alone. We are always here to talk.

• Posted

Another sufferer of an abuseive childhhod here, not only has it resulted in depression amongst other things, but allso Reactive Attachment Disorder so I have never been able to form romantic attachments so have been lonely my whole life. I now have heart trouble as well, (probably as a result of), so I am currently off work and living in total isolation. No answer from me I'm afraid, I dont take the meds as they turn off all my emotions, I consider negative emotions to still be one up from no emotions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.