I am feeling anxious and nervous

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I suffer from ocd and anxiety and have had it four five years im managing almost all of my ocd but there is one thing that i cant control and need to know ways to control it. I am a Football Referee and been doing it for four seasons now.

I started refereeing mens football about a season ago and since i started i have been getting extremely nervous and anxious before matches. I get really bad stomach and go a toilet at least four times before a match. If it is a morning game i wake up feeling really ill its like i must think about it in my sleep. If its a later game i will build up getting really anxious and nervous. How do i stop this nasty feeling

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  Do you see a therapist at all or are you coping with this yourself?
    • Posted

I have had cbt for my ocd and im coping with that but this as its causing stomach aches and me not eating i cant seem to control. Have u got any ways of me stopping it and controlling it.
    • Posted

It might be worth having a look at some of the other types of therapy.  I'm a strong believer in keeping going until you find the right one for you.  Each one helps in its own way.  I suffer from a need to go to the toilet when I'm stressed and have found it important to try and keep the stress at bay. CBT is good at this as it gives you other ways of thinking about the situation, but you could also try Mindful Meditation.  It's a way of keeping your mind on what is happening right now rather than running away with thoughts about what might happen, or what you think is going to happen.  You might also be interested in researching EMDR if you don't already know about it.  It helps identify why you have anxiety issues in the first place and then helps you overcome that issue (that's a very simple way of describing it).  I found it very helpful.
    • Posted

You could try EMDR, or just talking therapy through counselling or even hypnotherapy to help with relaxation techniques.  To be honest I can't recommend any of them to you as you need to find out yourself which works best for you and your issues.  Depending on your financial situation you could either research and find a counselor/therapist yourself or go to your GP and ask to be referred to someone to help.  There are lots of great professionals out there who treat people like you and me every day. 
    • Posted

I have got a therapist and i do a way by putting the thoughts in the bin anyone else got any ideas
    • Posted

One of the things that helped me was imagining a picture infront of you of the thing you fear.  Then push it away with your eyes into the distance with it getting smaller and smaller until it completely dissapears.
  • Posted

ocd comes from too much stress. stress comes from anxiety. you need to go to a doctor and speak to someone about your feelings. they can help. you will get that stress of your mind and make sense of it all. it will make you feel a lot better. also you could take medication, its upto you.
  • Posted

I see a therapist and she gave me the way by imagining a bin and putting the words in the bin. But has anyone got any ways of getting rid of the feeling
    • Posted

medication like diazapan will give you instant relieve but the symptoms will come back after it wears off and sometimes they can come back stronger so not sure if you should take it. up to you though. but in the long run the best thing to do is find a way to control the anxiety i guess which just takes time unfortunatly rolleyes
    • Posted

You're right to be hesitant about diazepam. It is for short term use only and can be addictive. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.